Darn!!! - Missed Last Update For Windows 7

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
January 14, 2020 was the last day to update Windows 7.

However, I believe I may have missed getting an update last night. These updates have been automatically loaded to my hard drive, but I've tried to check for them and I'm getting an error message (that Windows Update cannot check for updates) as shown in the first screenshot. However, the second screenshot shows the service WUAUSERV is actually running.

Anyone know how to check for updates on my hard drive (or online) or am I just Do Do Outa Luck.?

1579061866767.png1579062100124.png

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Looks like you may have to break down and install Windows 10. :eek:
I did that on a couple Windows 7 machines of mine when they first offered a free upgrade a few years ago, and had no problems (but perhaps I was lucky).

Last edited:

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
You have to check first at OEM site if they have drivers for Win 10 or you could have
a problem. Many Win7 drivers work, but not all. Look specifically at USB, Graphics
drivers for potential issues. The upgrade process will flag a driver if its going to be
a problem, however I am not sure how thorough that check is. I would posit its good
for drivers registered at Microsoft, but ones that are not may not flag that specific
driver as a problem. So you couyld, after upgrade, find yourself in a world of hurt.

I have one machine where I upgraded to Win 10 and there is no support for the Ethernet
chip, either from LapTop vendor or the chip manufacturer. I got around it by using a USB
to Ethernet dongle which seems to work fine. If this happens to you these dongles are
available in USB 2.0 and 3.0. I do not know if 3.0 would have worked on 2.0, so just ordered

Regards, Dana.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Looks like you may have to break down and install Windows 10. :eek:
I did that on a couple Windows 7 machines of mine when they first offered a free upgrade a few years ago, and had no problems (but perhaps I was lucky).
I agree with @crutschow. I had no problems and maybe I was lucky

I took a risk. I didn’t want to miss the free upgrade window. If anything went south, I still had several backups.

It went smooth as silk. No problems; no incompatible software. No nothing.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Just when you thought it was safe to go back on your computer (music theme from the movie "JAWS"), I just got this notice from Norton about a severe problem with Windows 10.

1579324550513.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You should be able to check for windows updates using this method. You should, among other things be able to view your update history and get a handle on how current your last updates were. Now with that said Windows 7 is approaching the end of its life support.

"Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 in 2015, but the OS is still covered by extended support until January 14, 2020. In this phase, Windows 7 no longer receives new features via updates, but Microsoft will still push out security patches on a regular basis. In exactly one year, that will also end". January 14 2020 has sort of come and gone so that may figure into things.

Finally yes, maybe it is time for Windows 10 which I finally placed on both my and my wife's systems.

Ron

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Early on in the transition to Win10 there was discussion about how to avoid installing nagware (e.g., constant reminders to update to Win10) when updating Win7.

Does anyone know whether installing the "final" update can be limited to legitimate functions and ignore the Win10 traps?