Damn these electrically common points! xD

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
"Ohh... Please tell me if I am understanding it correctly , feet together the voltage flows through both feet so voltage isn't dropped as if 9same voltage in both feet, but feet separated as it flows from one leg to another voltage is dropped and that difference in voltage is what causes a person to shock, right?"

You are NOT understanding correctly. Stay away from electricity until you learn to read and study.

"Sorry for being such a nuisance, but that makes me wonder, so if you do not touch something you become electrically common with the ground but if you do touch something (like a car) then you complete the circuit and you get shocked?"

Not a nuisance.......you're dangerous. You do not understand electricity......stay away from it.
Start reading and studying basic electricity and DC circuits. You HAVE to learn electricity/electronics in an ordered fashion. You HAVE to learn some things BEFORE other things. There are no shortcuts.

I hope you don't take my post as an insult......because it's not meant to be.

TS said:
"1. Ohh... Please tell me if I am understanding it correctly , feet together the voltage flows through both feet so voltage isn't dropped as if 9same voltage in both feet, but feet separated as it flows from one leg to another voltage is dropped and that difference in voltage is what causes a person to shock, right?"
TS said:
2. Sorry for being such a nuisance, but that makes me wonder, so if you do not touch something you become electrically common with the ground but if you do touch something (like a car) then you complete the circuit and you get shocked?"
There are Two issues here:

In #1, we're talking PRIMARILY about a fault condition where there is a LARGE voltage gradiant across the ground, so between any two points there is a voltage. Two feet, can act like two voltage probes and the further the feet are apart, the greater the voltage between the feet.

We can't characterize things very well and there are other phenomena at play here. One one hand we can argue that feet with shoes are insulators and on the other hand we can argue bare feet. High voltage and high frequency have different sort of properties.

So, let's just say that with a downed power line there MAY be a large voltage gradiant across the earth and the potential for being shocked is real. Not getting out of your car is a good idea. You can't predict exactly what will happen.

In #2;
TS said:
2. Sorry for being such a nuisance, but that makes me wonder, so if you do not touch something you become electrically common with the ground but if you do touch something (like a car) then you complete the circuit and you get shocked?"
We can look at the fault and non-fault conditions.

non-fault and fault

At home, the plumbing fixtures are grounded or isolated, the washer is grounded, so they are the same potential as the earth. An appliance fault that creates a path to the case the will "hopefully" trip the breaker.

In the car thing, we can add static electricity where the car gets charged with your clothing and seats. The car, for the most part is insulated because of the tires. There was a time where straps from the vehicle chassis dangled and touched the ground to dissipate static.

There's a lot of concepts here and it's hard to simplify. In a computing center during a storm, the storm took out some stuff because the earth's potential at one end of the building was different than the other during the storm. It's not something you routinely see.