Cyber warfare and all that nonsense

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
This is getting off topic. The original discussion was about cyber warfare, and how I personally think it's just fearmongering/scaremongering a public which fear "viruses" like a real biological virus.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Why do you consider cyberwarfare nonsense?You've seen normal hackers can take down some of the largest websites for days sometimes. Imagine a co-ordinated effort to launch DOS attacks on Wallmart, Bestbuy, Compusa, Frys, Newegg, Mwave, Sears, Sams club, and Costco, all on black friday at that same time. Then consider that Wikileaks is about to publish 100k+ documents that are secret and have all our polititions skipping thanksgiving and flying to every ally we explaining why we called their military a bunch of "fruity tarts" in an email from Bush. Sorry but cyberwarfare is real and here to stay. The US is doing everything possible to stop wikileaks but seems like theres just nothing they can legally do.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Why do you consider cyberwarfare nonsense?You've seen normal hackers can take down some of the largest websites for days sometimes. Imagine a co-ordinated effort to launch DOS attacks on Wallmart, Bestbuy, Compusa, Frys, Newegg, Mwave, Sears, Sams club, and Costco, all on black friday at that same time. Then consider that Wikileaks is about to publish 100k+ documents that are secret and have all our polititions skipping thanksgiving and flying to every ally we explaining why we called their military a bunch of "fruity tarts" in an email from Bush. Sorry but cyberwarfare is real and here to stay. The US is doing everything possible to stop wikileaks but seems like theres just nothing they can legally do.
I believe it's nonsense because there's no real threat.

DDOS attacks have been a nuisance on the internet, but they are not devastating to a website or online business. Just cut off the originator using filters at the router. It's done all the time by web hosts. Might have a few hours downtime.

And I don't see how Wikileaks comes into it. I think what Wikileaks has done is good. Governments have been hiding too much information.

Once you have a scared public, they'll do anything you tell them to - just look at TSA.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't remember the name of the country (Lithuania?, Luxembourg?) that was hit by a massive DOS attack a couple of years ago, but it wasn't minor. It basically shut down the entire countries Internet infrastructure. Sad, but in the modern age I don't think a modern nation can live without the internet for basic services, especially financial. This goes way beyond nuisance, and well into an act of war. Since it was a small nation nothing came of it, but they spent a lot of money on computer security after that.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Also, wikileaks is ADDING to the fear in people.

Instead of walking around believing that the government is keeping you safe, wikileaks is telling you otherwise.

That can scare the hell out of people.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Interestingly wikileaks claims that it is being hit by a large DDOS attack at the moment which is preventing them from releasing the information.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't remember the name of the country (Lithuania?, Luxembourg?) that was hit by a massive DOS attack a couple of years ago, but it wasn't minor. It basically shut down the entire countries Internet infrastructure. Sad, but in the modern age I don't think a modern nation can live without the internet for basic services, especially financial. This goes way beyond nuisance, and well into an act of war. Since it was a small nation nothing came of it, but they spent a lot of money on computer security after that.
Then take into account 90% of America has switched to VOIP and E911. Shut that down and their goes communications and 911. If your wondering if you have VOIP, if you get TV and phone from the same company, you have VOIP.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Interestingly wikileaks claims that it is being hit by a large DDOS attack at the moment which is preventing them from releasing the information.
Thats not a DOS, thats just the entire world trying to get to the same site at the same time and download their libraries.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Also, wikileaks is ADDING to the fear in people.

Instead of walking around believing that the government is keeping you safe, wikileaks is telling you otherwise.

That can scare the hell out of people.
Theres a big difference between fearmongering and telling the truth.