Current limiting in Drone

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
Hello
I am planning to Make a drone for my final year Project
My knowledge is Limited here. As I am planning to have wired drone with 10,000 Mah backup battery

Electronics components used:
Flight controller - DJI Naza MV2
Esc - 30 DYS
Motor - DYS brushless Motor

queries
I am planning to Power the whole drone with AC current (230V,50Hz) with voltage and amphere limiting
kindly guide me how can i limit current to 40 Amp Max to power the whole drone

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

40A x 230 V = 9200 VA which is somewhat over 12 HP. That does not sound like a "first project" drone to me. Why do you plan to use 230VAC for power. How will you get that power to the drone while it is in flight?

The class of motors you list all seem to be low voltage DC. Do you have a specific motor in mind? What is your target weight for the entire drone?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
40A cable will be pretty heavy. What length do you think you will need?
Will the drone be double-insulated and guaranteed crash-resistant? With 230V floating about, anyone rescuing the drone after a crash could get a fatal shock from exposed live conductors.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Hopefully, we are misinterpreting your post. Are you really talking about a drone that requires wired power at 230V and 40A? If so, I suggest that you should change your major to creative writing, specializing in Steam Punk. A steam powered drone would be about as practical and so much more interesting.

Bob

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
Welcome to AAC.

40A x 230 V = 9200 VA which is somewhat over 12 HP. That does not sound like a "first project" drone to me. Why do you plan to use 230VAC for power. How will you get that power to the drone while it is in flight?

The class of motors you list all seem to be low voltage DC. Do you have a specific motor in mind? What is your target weight for the entire drone?
To be precise ..i was going to use a lengthy cable(which i need to research) n u all got me wrong in India the AC is 230V,50hz ..i was planning to do something like what we see on our electronics charger like a mobile phone ..which plugged into socket will only take desired i.e 12v 4 amp to charge
This May look rubbish ..I am really noob

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
40A cable will be pretty heavy. What length do you think you will need?
Will the drone be double-insulated and guaranteed crash-resistant? With 230V floating about, anyone rescuing the drone after a crash could get a fatal shock from exposed live conductors.
I dont want the whole 230 V to pass through it rather 15V 40 Amp is enough

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
I don't want the whole 230 V to pass through it rather 15V 40 Amp is enough. the concept is like how we use a mobile phone or any other Electronics With charger connected to AC. Which only takes in the desired Voltage and Amp for that electronic
A very bad decision and realization for a final year project. Do something that they can not fail you for.

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
I am sorry i forgot to give u a vital info...the plan is to make a tethered wire drone ...where there will b a round unit which will convert Ac supply i.e230V 50Hz to required Dc i.e 14.8V 40 A

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Not all drones fly. "Drone" has been applied to non-flying, remotely operated vehicles.
1) Will your drone be a vehicle or an aircraft?
2) If aircraft, what type (e.g., fixed wing, helicopter, multi rotor)
3) What is the design weight and lift planned?
4) What will be the power of the motor(s)?

Assuming it is flying, your idea to run it from an electrical cord and provide, if you will, "in flight refueling" of the battery will accomplish nothing. Modern aircraft that do in flight refueling do not carry an extension cord. They attach when needed. You have described keeping the cord attached. So,why have a battery on board? Second, electrical cable is very heavy and even more difficult to drag around.

noobyist

Joined May 23, 2018
Not all drones fly. "Drone" has been applied to non-flying, remotely operated vehicles.
1) Will your drone be a vehicle or an aircraft?
2) If aircraft, what type (e.g., fixed wing, helicopter, multi rotor)
3) What is the design weight and lift planned?
4) What will be the power of the motor(s)?

Assuming it is flying, your idea to run it from an electrical cord and provide, if you will, "in flight refueling" of the battery will accomplish nothing. Modern aircraft that do in flight refueling do not carry an extension cord. They attach when needed. You have described keeping the cord attached. So,why have a battery on board? Second, electrical cable is very heavy and even more difficult to drag around.

Its a Multi rotor flying drone
with a payload of around 2kg and total drone weigh will be around 4 to 5 kg max
Turnigy Multistar 3508-640Kv motor
well so in case of an emergency like power shed we can use battery without interrupting drone flight. but i really need tethered drone like the one attached below ..where inground unit the AC voltage is converted to desired DC Voltage and amphereHight-tethered-station-drone-for-surveillance.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ArakelTheDragon

Joined Nov 18, 2016
The things that you are showing us are junk, and I have been working on a 1.2 ton AGV.

If you want to make a drone, start by a small child's electrical automobile, then move to helicopters and more complex things.