Current Limiter For Guitar Pedal Circuit

Camsmit1

Joined Dec 20, 2017
Hi all,

Struggling with a new build that has an in rush current as I turn on the guitar pedal. When I power up the pedal the current rushes up to 210mA but actually stabilises at about 170mA. So would ideally like to limit the current draw of the circuit to 180mA. Maybe a slow start circuit could be useful or a limiter itself?

If anyone has any suggestions for current limiting circuits it would be much appreciated

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That seems like a relatively small surge current, likely due to charging of the filter capacitors.
Why do you want to go to the trouble of limiting the current?
What is the supply voltage?

Last edited:

Camsmit1

Joined Dec 20, 2017
That seems like a relatively small surge current, likely due to charging of the filter capacitors.
Why do you want to go to the trouble of limiting the current?
What is the supply voltage?
So the supply voltage is 9V. Most power adaptors for guitar pedals are rated to about 150mA/200mA. So I'd like to avoid overdrawing current from the power source if possible.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The current surge is caused by charging up the power input filter and decoupling capacitors in the circuit. This is a very short-term transient, and is not causing *any* stress in the power supply. Even if you powered it up once a minute forever, the supply wouldn't notice.

ak

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
What is the problem you are trying to solve? As others have pointed out, what you are describing does not seem to be a problem.

Bob