current experiment

ac suiter

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Hello. I had to do an important science investigation in school. The title I was given was 'Investigate the relationship between the size of the electric current passing through a length of wire and its heating effect'.
I devised a circuit where I could change the resistance as well as measure the current and by how much a length of nicrome wire heated up a certain amount of water by in ten minutes.
However I messed up and lost my results. I know that a graph of temperature change and current should not be a straight line and that you need to do a conversion to do with power to get directly proportional results.
Could anybody tell me the conversion I need to do and give me some ready made results of current and temperature that will work out after the conversion. Bearing in mind that I need 5 results and I used a 6 v battery.
I am very grateful for any help.

I am not sure anyone here is going to give you "ready made results" so you can complete your homework. Looks like repeating the experiment is your best bet. After you get your results, if you have questions, try back...

frankw

Joined Apr 29, 2009
I also had to this experiment a long while ago but unfortunately I did not realize there was a conversion to be done. I sent in my project and not until afterwards did I realize my mistake so I just kept with my non-straight graph. I think the conversion is something to do with Joules.
Good luck I hope you do better than I did.

frankw

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Does anybody know the conversion this person has to do? You can check out the blog of 'bigjohn'. It's a pretty similiar experiment

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hello. I had to do an important science investigation in school. The title I was given was 'Investigate the relationship between the size of the electric current passing through a length of wire and its heating effect'.
I devised a circuit where I could change the resistance as well as measure the current and by how much a length of nicrome wire heated up a certain amount of water by in ten minutes.
However I messed up and lost my results. I know that a graph of temperature change and current should not be a straight line and that you need to do a conversion to do with power to get directly proportional results.
Could anybody tell me the conversion I need to do and give me some ready made results of current and temperature that will work out after the conversion. Bearing in mind that I need 5 results and I used a 6 v battery.
I am very grateful for any help.

Heating loss is I^2*R, so your results should be fairly close to the square of the current....assuming R is a constant...which probably isn't...exactly.

eric