Current density

thexy

Joined Dec 13, 2015
Plot the surface current density in the shell as a function of the measured from the apex of axial coordinate z.

So here is photo and result. I don't understand why are they using perimeter? Why is there tan?
Can someone explain me on easy way because I don't understand anything.zadd.JPG

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is a shell, right (something like a very thin funnel)? So, at any given height, all of the current is passing through a ring. How long is that ring?

thexy

Joined Dec 13, 2015
This is a shell, right (something like a very thin funnel)? So, at any given height, all of the current is passing through a ring. How long is that ring?
This is not easy explanation. I don't how much is long. I would say it's long like the time that currents flows through it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This is not easy explanation. I don't how much is long. I would say it's long like the time that currents flows through it.
This makes no sense whatsoever.

What is the surface current density (which would be expressed in amperes per inch) if the current is flowing lengthwise through a cylinder that has a diameter of two inches?

thexy

Joined Dec 13, 2015
This makes no sense whatsoever.

What is the surface current density (which would be expressed in amperes per inch) if the current is flowing lengthwise through a cylinder that has a diameter of two inches?
It will be I/Area

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
No, because it is not asking for current density, it is asking for surface current density. So it is I/Length.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is the circumference of the shell a distance z above the apex? Isn't that a function of the angle of the cone?