Curious about forum rules

Man10

Joined Jul 31, 2018
If a buy a prebuilt tesla coil and try to measure the rate at which it drains the battery, does that violate forum rules in any way?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Your best answer would come from any moderator on the forums. Just shoot any of them a PM (Private Message). My thinking is no. With any load on a battery you simply measure the load current. With a load where the current may not be stable shoot for an average. Lets say I have a battery rated at 12 Volts 7.0 AH. That means with a 7.0 Amp load in theory my battery will last for 1.0 hour before the voltage drops. The same battery in theory would power a 14 amp load for 30 min or 1/2 hour. With a 0.5 amp load the battery will last for about 14 hours. I say in theory because with a heavy load like 7.0 amps I am not likely to see one hour. Much depends on battery composition and age. You really only care about the load current and battery rating.

Ron

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Hi @DickCappels

Out of interest,
you say ping any of the moderators

Is it obvious and I have missed to who are the moderators ?
a link on the front page ?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
"ping any of the moderators" I don't remember typing that but in general all moderators are here to help.

There is a list of moderators that are online somewhere but I can't find it now but Scott probably know where it is. @ScottWang Where is that list?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I don't see any mention of Tesla coils or battery drain experiments in these documents. If a post or thread appears to be "dangerous" for some reason the thread would be locked and possibly parts deleted.

At the bottom of every page there are links to the rules, repeated here for convenience.

Terms and rules:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/help/terms/

User Agreement:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/user-agreement/
Quoting a specific part of your reply:
"If a post or thread appears to be "dangerous" for some reason[,] the thread would be locked and possibly parts deleted."

I think that is a very good policy. That's because some projects are dangerous and some are not depending on the energy level of the project, and the main question in this thread is a really good example i think.
I think this because some coils are dangerous and some are not. Very large Tesla coils could be very dangerous but the small ones sold for the hobby aspect of it are not dangerous at all. A neighbor of mine got one of those small ones from Amazon and we could touch the high voltage end of the wire while it was running and barely feel a tingle. The voltage must be quite high, but the current is so low it doesnt hurt anybody.

So judging these things on a case by case basis seems like a good idea to me that way the smaller projects that are in no way dangerous to humans can be allowed while the larger known to be dangerous projects can be discouraged.

A related amazing fact: I've seen coils that wont even kill a fly even though the fly is directly connected to two high voltage energized wires. That's because the current was far too low to hurt the fly. We did experiments like this in a lab long long time ago using different methods to generate the high voltage.