CRUMBS Circuit Simulator

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
People here might want to look at this game CRUMBS Circuit Simulator.

It is a game where you simulate circuits with virtual electronics components on a virtual breadboard.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It appears that this is something that you have to buy the app for -- which makes this at least spam-adjacent.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The term "Game" made me think it was something for children. It's not a game! But it's not a schematic driven simulator either. Apparently it is similar to Fritz in that it is an object type circuit instead of a symbolic schematic. How much actual simulation there is I don't know but I'll stick with LTSpice thank you very much. I'm thinking what they mean by "Simulation" is that the LEDs will light up on the display.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You can simulate circuits before you make them in real life, so that you'll know it'll work as intended.
You might be unaware of the existence of simulators intended to be professional tools. LTSpice is one of them. It is free and very popular.

There are quite a few web-based simulators of lesser capability as well. Though I haven't investigated the program you are talking about, from the comments here, it is not very useful in comparison to other, completely free offerings.

Check out LTSpice if you need a tool for verifying circuits.

[EDIT: typo repair]

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I know what a simulator is and how to use it. I ASKED you what is the point of making a game of it? Answer the question!
If it is a game (some comments suggest there is no game component to it), it could be useful as the leading edge of getting kids interested in STEM topics. Gamification is a really effective way to motivate people.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It is puzzling to me that the effort some people will put into something is inversely proportional to its relevance to the real world.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You should ask the developers that question.
I'm asking you because you are here promoting it. I appreciate that @Ya´akov can come up with a possible answer, but I really want to know your opinion. I have zero interest is asking the developers as they are not here promoting it here. They presumably have other ideas on that matter.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The only, even remotely close, game connotation is that it is available on Steam. Which is primarily a game server. I've seen nothing that indicates that CRUMB is a game, only a beginner's object circuit builder.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The only, even remotely close, game connotation is that it is available on Steam. Which is primarily a game server. I've seen nothing that indicates that CRUMB is a game, only a beginner's object circuit builder.
The picture is becoming clearer. Now I wonder why the TS bothered to mention any connection to games or gaming.

bypassrestrictions

Joined Jun 1, 2021
I'm asking you because you are here promoting it. I appreciate that @Ya´akov can come up with a possible answer, but I really want to know your opinion. I have zero interest is asking the developers as they are not here promoting it here. They presumably have other ideas on that matter.
The picture is becoming clearer. Now I wonder why the TS bothered to mention any connection to games or gaming.
I didn't know about such a software/game to simulate circuits, I only knew about web based with 2d graphics, and software which only had symbols, but never seen a 3D interface with virtual 3D components, I thought people here might be interested in knowing about it as this is electronics forum. I didn't consider this promoting, I thought it was spreading awareness about it.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I didn't know about such a software/game to simulate circuits, I only knew about web based with 2d graphics, and software which only had symbols, but never seen a 3D interface with virtual 3D components, I thought people here might be interested in knowing about it as this is electronics forum. I didn't consider this promoting, I thought it was spreading awareness about it.
While most active people here would not find this program directly useful, I would imagine there are some lurkers who aren’t to the level of using a real simulator and might find such a program something interesting and educational.

It could also be useful to someone with a young relative or friend not ready for LTSpice but interested in cirtcuits. Of course, all of this depends on the quality of the simulation. I have no idea if it is accurate or misleading—or what its limitations are that might end up confusing the naïve user.

I have no problem believing your motive was good, but just a friendly suggestion for the future. If you are going to mention something like this consider your own naïveté and make it a question, like ”I found this program and it looks good are there any other things like it?”. That way, it will be clear that you are just trying to let other people know but are aware of your own limited knowledge.

The net result could be learning on both sides and probably avoidance of a misimpression about your intent. Thanks for pointing it out, maybe someone did find it useful.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

As said, we do not know how accurate the simulator is.
Also we do not know wich components are available for the simulator.
LTspice has a large library of components that can even be extended by user made components.
Also @Bordodynov made a very large library of components for LTspice.

Bertus

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I didn't pay to download the program but from what I saw it is in a very nascent stage of development with big plans for further (open source?) development. The developer is very canny as to his promotion of his product and knowledgeable as to graphics, plus somewhat puzzling (to me at least) in using the Steam platform for sales as it is primarily a games source (maybe they are a graphical game developer?). And, Fritz was free the last time I looked...

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The way he say things sounds like someone selling things, not using them.
Let's be a bit careful to not read too much into things. The TS has tried to clarify this a bit, pointing out that trying to avoid this is why they didn't provide a link. So let's let the thread be about the tool, including it's pros and cons and potential utility for different audiences. Probably plenty of valid discussion material to be had just in that realm.

My take on these types of simulators in general (I'm talking about the ones where you seem to build the circuit by plugging virtual components into some kind of virtual breadboard or something similarly graphics-driven) is that they have almost no value to the person trying to do real work, but perhaps might be of limited utility in terms of getting new people interested in electronics, but that they quickly become a hindrance that can prevent those same people from progressing beyond this "toy" phase.

Having said that, I can't help but wonder if people could and did say the same things about the 65-in-1 type electronics kits that sparked the initial interest of myself and countless others decades ago.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Having said that, I can't help but wonder if people could and did say the same things about the 65-in-1 type electronics kits that sparked the initial interest of myself and countless others decades ago.
Well, those 65-in-1 kits were trash... Now the 100-in-1 kits, like I had, that's a different story...

1669279459343.png