CRT's & their glass composition - what parts are leaded and not?

RogueRose

Joined Oct 10, 2014
So, I've seen a lot of places refusing CRT's for drop off and some places charging from $5 - $20 per unit. and it is illegal to throw them away. Many of the old places that took them are no longer accepting them so there is a problem getting rid of them in areas.

I have seen conflicting reports about the composition of the tubes. Some state that the leaded glass is only the front panel while the side of the tube is standard glass (though maybe shielded with some kind of spray on "paint" or tar/plastic like substance).

I need to know if there are different types of glass at different places in the tube. I've also seen some radically different temps noted for the melting point of leaded glass from 800F but wiki states that 1,1100F is the softening point, ~1,500F working temp (vs 1,050 for soda-lime glass) even up to 2,010F working temp! This seems very counter-intuitive when you understand glass and how adding things like soda lime and such lowers the temps by 20-45% for melting point (and lead has much lower melting point than soda lime!!)
quarts (pure SiO2) melts near 3,050F

I've come up with a way to work with these tubes and separate some parts pretty easily if that is necessary but need to know what parts I need to separate within a tube - or if there are any special parts that may contain valuable materials. Wiki and other sources don't go into specifics that are needed for this.

Finally I would need to find some place that would use the recycled glass (separated to high lead & low to non-leaded) if they still do that sort of thing.

Does anyone have experience with how the CRT's are constructed and the materials within the glass?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
So, I've seen a lot of places refusing CRT's for drop off and some places charging from $5 - $20 per unit. and it is illegal to throw them away. Many of the old places that took them are no longer accepting them so there is a problem getting rid of them in areas.

I have seen conflicting reports about the composition of the tubes. Some state that the leaded glass is only the front panel while the side of the tube is standard glass (though maybe shielded with some kind of spray on "paint" or tar/plastic like substance).

I need to know if there are different types of glass at different places in the tube. I've also seen some radically different temps noted for the melting point of leaded glass from 800F but wiki states that 1,1100F is the softening point, ~1,500F working temp (vs 1,050 for soda-lime glass) even up to 2,010F working temp! This seems very counter-intuitive when you understand glass and how adding things like soda lime and such lowers the temps by 20-45% for melting point (and lead has much lower melting point than soda lime!!)

I've come up with a way to work with these tubes and separate some parts pretty easily if that is necessary but need to know what parts I need to separate within a tube - or if there are any special parts that may contain valuable materials. Wiki and other sources don't go into specifics that are needed for this.

Finally I would need to find some place that would use the recycled glass (separated to high lead & low to non-leaded) if they still do that sort of thing.

Does anyone have experience with how the CRT's are constructed and the materials within the glass?

The CRTs are blown from one type of glass. Some CRTs had additional leaded glass added (while still molten) in front of the CRT for additional protection. Interestingly, those without the extra leaded glass are called "no lead panel CRT" even though the entire crt is clearly made of leaded glass.

See below for details of lead content and weight of various tube sizes.

http://www.eiae.org/whatsnew/attachments/Lead_in_CRTs.pdf

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That one is impossible to answer without knowing your location.

My community was accepting them as of about a year ago. All we need to do is to put it out on the curb.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In Amsterdam we have some waste collecting points where you can hand over the chemical and other harmfull waste.
As a private person this is for free upto a certain amount of waste.
As a company, you will have to pay for the wieght delivered at the waste collecting point.

Bertus

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In the US, the Environmentsl Protection Agency was warning "recycling centers" that they cannot act as "stockpiling centers". They must have a plan to get rid of the materials they are collecting. Some things like lead have very few uses so the term is "Recycling" must soon be replaced with "Hazardous Waste" - as in, "Hazardous Wast Collection Center".

Unfortunately, the best end deposition for leaded glass is a landfill certified for hazardous waste.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Some things like lead have very few uses
Gophert just as example Pb has major use as way less expensive & hazardous shielding material than U238:)! So anyhow I say too many ppl are heavy metal phobic based on alarmist hype and hysteria cuz of negligence and historical ignorance of cumulative toxicity:rolleyes:! Cuz Pb and Hg are totally the best option for a lot purposes! So I say ROHS is self-inflicted wound on industrialized economies:mad:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I need to know if there are different types of glass at different places in the tube.
Some CRTs had additional leaded glass added (while still molten) in front of the CRT for additional protection.
Rougerose I totally agree with quote from Gophert cuz if u transilluminate crt with 100keV xray, faceplate has way more opacity than can be accounted for by just greater thickness:)!

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
...This seems very counter-intuitive when you understand glass and how adding things like soda lime and such lowers the temps by 20-45% for melting point (and lead has much lower melting point than soda lime!!)
Yes, lead has low melting point, but lead oxide like many metal oxides does not, it is 1630F for PbO used in lead glass manufacture.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Gophert just as example Pb has major use as way less expensive & hazardous shielding material than U238:)! So anyhow I say too many ppl are heavy metal phobic based on alarmist hype and hysteria cuz of negligence and historical ignorance of cumulative toxicity:rolleyes:! Cuz Pb and Hg are totally the best option for a lot purposes! So I say ROHS is self-inflicted wound on industrialized economies:mad:
I still drink out of our old Lead crystal. Wine and water extract virtually nothing. Orange juice on the other hand...

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
In EPA tests they crush the glass and soak in acid for a while then look to see how much leached into the acid. A little different from drinking wine from crystal.

From memory the lead is in the faceplate and the bell.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Like lead/tin solder, a relatively stable alloy who's manufacture was taking lead *OUT* of the environment.

In the UK; there are rain lashed lead roofs everywhere with the run off going straight into the water table. We had lead water pipes almost up to the 60s, and archaeologists are still finding lead water ducts from the roman occupation.

No complaints about taking lead out of petrol though - the petrochemical industry annual lead procurement was a rather large number, lead particulates pumped into the air for us all to breathe.

Someone lost perspective and most of the directives are doing more harm than good.