Creating a tracking device, need gps and battery help

Hansen413

Joined Jan 8, 2017
I have a product that is going to be made and am currently trying to see where my best option is in purchasing a 4G gps chip?
I need it as small as it can possibly be.
The battery as well needs to be as small as possible, to be able to hold charge for months at a time.
Is there any thoughts of where I can find one I have looked and talked to a few companies, but would like to know if there is more out there.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
So let me understand what you are asking. You want a 4th Generation GPS receiver chip and a a battery that is as small as possible. Is that correct?
What did you plan to use for an antenna?
How do you plan to get information into and out of this system?

Here is everything you could wish for on battery sizes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

To know how long a given battery will last we need to find you your chip. What chips have you looked at so far?

Hansen413

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It will be piggybacked onto a GPS tracking server, provided by a company, that will track my product 24/7 on the cellular network. whatever cell network my consumer has. (verizon, att, t mobile etc)

I am having just having a hard time finding a GPS small enough to fit in my tracker.
I have looked into UBLOX and TELIT as far as chips go for purchase.

thank you for the battery link.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
It will be piggybacked onto a GPS tracking server, provided by a company, that will track my product 24/7 on the cellular network. whatever cell network my consumer has. (verizon, att, t mobile etc)

I am having just having a hard time finding a GPS small enough to fit in my tracker.
I have looked into UBLOX and TELIT as far as chips go for purchase.

thank you for the battery link.
I guess I didn't understand your original post very well. I'll look at those chipsets and get back to you. If you have a GPS tracking server -- why do you want to build one. I still don't understand what you are trying to do.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The battery as well needs to be as small as possible, to be able to hold charge for months at a time.
The only way you're going to achieve that is to have a microprocessor to occasionally (rarely) wake up the GPS to acquire a signal and then chirp a signal to a cell tower, and then go back to sleep. Both the GPS receiver and the cellular radios require significant power compared to a small battery.