Creating a mechanism

Elgauly

Joined Oct 8, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm trying to figure out how to make a device that whenever I send an electric pulse a pin pops out of the device and after I send two pulses the pin returns, its pretty simple I think.
I hope you guys could answer my question.

Thanks.

Elgauly

Joined Oct 8, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm trying to figure out how to make a device that whenever I send an electric pulse a pin pops out of the device and after I send two pulses the pin returns, this device must be less then 8 millimeter long, its pretty simple I think.

Thanks.

b1u3sf4n09

Joined May 23, 2014
Hello guys,
I'm trying to figure out how to make a device that whenever I send an electric pulse a pin pops out of the device and after I send two pulses the pin returns, its pretty simple I think.

Thanks.
When you say pin, do you mean a solenoid valve? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid_valve
Solenoid valves usually require a sustained current to keep the valve open.

What do you mean by pulse? A 5V, 1 ms square wave? 8 ms Half wave power?

Is the pin used for display purposes? Is it actuating an external device?

Last edited:

Elgauly

Joined Oct 8, 2014
When you say pin, do you mean a solenoid valve? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid_valve
Solenoid valves usually require a sustained current to keep the valve open.

What do you mean by pulse? A 5V, 1 ms square wave? 8 ms Half wave power?

Is the pin used for display purposes? Is it actuating an external device?
Thanks, I have started reading about solenoids because it's what I was looking for.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Look at model railroad solenoid switch machines. They combine two solenoid coils back to back, which would give you your pin out and pin in motion. This is one, that with a little bending and/or extension might work.
PPCPL10E-250.jpg
The electronics for the control by one or two pulses (do you mean two pulses or a pulse to pop the pin out and a second pulse to retract it?) can be done with a flip flop for example (in the latter case).

In any event, the control electronics depend on the mechanical device used to move the pin.

By the way, how strong, big, etc... is this pin? Is it supporting a heavy weight or something light?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Magnetic latch solenoid, you only need one single pulse to energize and to retract.
Digikey sell them.
Max.

Last edited: