Crank no spark.

Eclectic

Joined Oct 23, 2022
Greetings. I have a crank no spark 2005 Zafira. I tested the 5 wires at the ignition coil connecter ( to test the 5volt reference). One has battery voltage and the other four around 2 volts. Is that too low voltage to get a spark? Thank You.

Last edited by a moderator:

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Welcome.
There is dozens of reasons for no start at cranking. They do not make automobiles since about 25 years ago. They make computers with wheels. So takes an electronics expert in that field to fix it.
Hint: Alarm disabling; crankshaft sensing; fuel pump; anti-theft system; camshaft sensing... Read error codes if any.
Suggestion: try a Zafira forum.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
For those of us who have no idea as to what a "ZAFIRA" even is, a bit more description would help understand the problem. Failure to provide ignition spark can be caused by any of the reasons in post #2, as well as failed connections, failed components, or damaged wires.

Eclectic

Joined Oct 23, 2022
Welcome.
There is dozens of reasons for no start at cranking. They do not make automobiles since about 25 years ago. They make computers with wheels. So takes an electronics expert in that field to fix it.
Hint: Alarm disabling; crankshaft sensing; fuel pump; anti-theft system; camshaft sensing... Read error codes if any.
Suggestion: try a Zafira forum.
I would like to know if the ignition coil wires connector has to have 5 volts reference to spark since I get 2 volts. Thanks.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
I do not know what you call "reference" and "reference to spark". Ignition coil connector can have 5Volts and show 2V for some functions, but the operation of the coil should be battery voltage supplied by the engine control unit when engine is running and no disabling condition present. Look for the schematic diagram at the service manual.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I would like to know if the ignition coil wires connector has to have 5 volts reference to spark since I get 2 volts. Thanks.
Sounds like your using what they call "coil near plug" ignition, most of them are 5 wire connectors. One of the wires should have 5V on it to cause the spark when it is time to fire. They have built in Mosfets that break the ground connection and make the coils spark. One of the other 5 wires is12V from the the key, and nothere one should be ground connection. The fifth one is the "smart" wire that tells the ECM the coil is working.

But if none of them are firing you could have a bad ECM, bad cam sensor or bad crank sensor. All of those work with the ECM to make it fire. Have you checked all of the ECM and ignition fuses? It's pretty unusual for all cylinders to go dead, one is the most common, giving a miss in the engine.

Don't confuse how coil near plug works compared to coil on plug. Coil on plug coils only use a 3 wire connector.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
When talking about cars - how many miles on it? When talking about failed ignition, there can be a multitude of reasons. One possible reason is a broken timing belt. If it breaks then the cam is not rotating. If the cam is not rotating then there is no signal to fire the spark. Your issue COULD be mechanical.

Had a Hyundai Sonata. It was recommended to change the timing belt every 60,000 miles. When I got it the mileage was already 77K. Not knowing the history of the vehicle I decided to have the dealership change the belt. The one that came off the car - - - well, the tech said I was one cold morning away from losing the engine. If the belt were to slip or break then the pistons would bend any valves that were in the down position. It's called an Interference Engine. If you have a broken timing belt and an interference engine then you also have bent valves. There could be far more wrong with the engine than just a failed spark.

Do you have a Check Engine light? If so - you have a code. If you have a code reader - read it. If not, just about all automotive supply stores will check the codes for free. If you can get the car to one of them you can have the code read.

Years after changing the timing belt on my Sonata the car suddenly stalled. After a short while it started again. My wife was on her way to work. She called. Told her to come home and I'd drive her in my truck. The car started and I drove it to an automotive store to have codes read. No codes showed up. Started the car and began to back out. The car stalled again. A minute later I was able to start it again, but before getting out of the parking lot it stalled yet again. This time (the third stall) the computer registered a code. Failed Crank Shaft Position sensor. Had the car towed home and bought a new sensor. Installed it and drove the car for years until the transmission began to act up. That was when I sold the car for the price of four new tires.

Cam position sensor
Crank position sensor
Slipped or broken timing belt
Failed ignition modules (if multiple, not likely all would fail at the same time) (check sensors)
Failed ECU (Engine Control Unit) (ECM Engine Control Module) (PCM Power Control Module) (many different names)
Bad ground connection (would affect other systems as well)

Eclectic

Joined Oct 23, 2022
Sounds like your using what they call "coil near plug" ignition, most of them are 5 wire connectors. One of the wires should have 5V on it to cause the spark when it is time to fire. They have built in Mosfets that break the ground connection and make the coils spark. One of the other 5 wires is12V from the the key, and nothere one should be ground connection. The fifth one is the "smart" wire that tells the ECM the coil is working.

But if none of them are firing you could have a bad ECM, bad cam sensor or bad crank sensor. All of those work with the ECM to make it fire. Have you checked all of the ECM and ignition fuses? It's pretty unusual for all cylinders to go dead, one is the most common, giving a miss in the engine.

Don't confuse how coil near plug works compared to coil on plug. Coil on plug coils only use a 3 wire connector.
Thank you. Yes low voltage on one of the wires and low voltage on cam sensor wires. I did the short test (light tester on the negative clamp) it lights on and the relay(with fuse) under the hood buzzes. Without a wiring diagram I can't trace.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Without a wiring diagram I can't trace.
Does it have an OBD port? Even if there is no check engine light on there may be a code stored. Some codes take a few times of the problem coming up before the light comes on. A code reader is a must with today's computer cars, if you want to fix things easier and faster. So much going on itn theses cars you can check for a long time before finding the problem.

Many wiring diagrams are on line today too.

Eclectic

Joined Oct 23, 2022
Does it have an OBD port? Even if there is no check engine light on there may be a code stored. Some codes take a few times of the problem coming up before the light comes on. A code reader is a must with today's computer cars, if you want to fix things easier and faster. So much going on itn theses cars you can check for a long time before finding the problem.

Many wiring diagrams are on line today too.
Yes code about the immobilizer.