Cpu design software

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
I am searching for a software where i can design cpu's and calculators .
Do you know some for me?

Iam a student and i am still learning by my self aboat digital eleckrronics so i dont have any idea for software

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Nobody designs a CPU with schematics any more, They are designed with a Hardware Description Language (HDL) and then synthesized with semiconductor process synthesis tools. They can also be prototyped in an FPGA from the same HDL description using different synthesis tools.

Last edited:

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
Nobody designs a CPU with schematics any more, they are designed with a Hardware Description Language (HDL) and then synthesized with semiconductor process synthesis tools. They can also be prototyped in an FPGA from the same HDL description using different synthesis tools.
Ow oke thats cool but for a 16 bit cpu is it not better to just draw it up because i want to make it on a breadboard like ben eater

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Ow oke thats cool but for a 16 bit cpu is it not better to just draw it up because i want to make it on a breadboard like ben eater
I suppose that works if you have the proper skill set and know what you are doing. Kinda like building a PDP-8 in 1968, which retailed for $12,000.00 in 1968 dollars, or the APG (Apollo Guidance Computer) made out of 3-Input RTL NOR gates which probably cost millions in 1962 dollars.

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I am searching for a software where i can design cpu's and calculators .
Do you know some for me?

Iam a student and i am still learning by my self aboat digital eleckrronics so i dont have any idea for software
Google search the following two points

Quartus
Cadence

does it solve your problem?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
What do you mean by that
What I mean is, among other things, you need to clarify your goals.
Do you want:
A- software to draw a PCB so you can place all the components chips on a single board instead of building on a breadboard like Ben Eater? Or,
B- do you want to draw a CPU circuit schematic on a silicon wafer? Or,
C- do you literally want, as your title states, "CPU Design Software" where an architecture is defined, a series of commands are defined, and CPU design software is used to create circuit blocks to execute those commands based on a fundamental architecture.

Deleted member 115935

Joined Dec 31, 1969
Is that not a programing language
VHDL / verilog are hardware description languages. ( HDL ) , a "Register Transfer Language" ( RTL )
They are used to describe without ambiguity the digital structure you require.
The RTL can then be simulated, to check it performs the actions you want in your hardware logic,
the can be used to synthesise silicon, be that as ASIC or more likely as FPGA .