COVID19 Desanitizing chemicals for electronic parts

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Or...just leave it open to the air to dry out for a few days. I would go with spraying with hydrogen peroxide if I thought there was a chance that the package was contaminated and the disease agent might have survived.

This has not been a problem with electronic components at any time in my memory.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Since I have been receiving regular shipments from the Wuhan area and not been infected... Now if the delivery driver or postal worker that delivers it is infected...

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The reason why I ask is because I was thinking certain chemicals might affect the operation of (or even damage) some electronic parts. At least I can predict extremely hot temperatures can destroy them.
Some disinfecting chemicals will damage some components, and many of them will make soldering reliably more difficult. So precautions are required for sure. Ultraviolet "C" the very short wavelength UV is a fairly good sterilizing method, but those lights from a reputable supplier are rather expensive. The mercury vapor light bulbs that used a 25 watt bulb for a ballast would be very good, but I have not seen them for sale in many years. But if one could locate them they would be the way to go. Unfortunately those who believe that they are much wiser than us have made them unavailable. But if they can be found they would do the job and leave no residue. Just avoid that light, it will damage eyes and cause sunburn.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
On the subject of UV sources, a friend of mine who buys a lot of used equipment leaves suspicious items out in the sunlight for a couple of days before using them. He is still alive...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I wouldn't worry about this Covid-19 "crisis". More people die in car accidents every year, but people are not giving up their cars.
The last I heard, car accidents weren't contagious and couldn't be passed to others. Unless you're driving into crowds just to kill people.

More people die from seasonal flu than COVID-19, but people aren't as afraid of it because the mortality rate is 10-30 timers lower; depending on which country's mortality rate you use.

Why is 20% of the country under stay-at-home orders if this wasn't something to be taken seriously?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Right now, countries only allow testing of people who turn up with symptoms that strongly indicate that they have the dreaded disease because test kits are in short supply. That means that they are only testing those who are on death's doorstep (yes, I exaggerate a little). There is a very good chance that if they were to test everybody in a given population they would find that the infection rate is well below 1% and those with strain S would be about the same or even milder than the typical seasonal flu symptoms, though those with strain L might find things more difficult (Wuhan and Italy for example).

So, before becoming too worried, be aware that the way the data is collected has a strong affect upon the statistics derived from that data.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I received a package from overseas recently.
I have it outside soaking up some natural UV radiation. All contents exposed to the sunlight should be disinfected by the end of the day.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Right now, countries only allow testing of people who turn up with symptoms that strongly indicate that they have the dreaded disease because test kits are in short supply. That means that they are only testing those who are on death's doorstep (yes, I exaggerate a little). There is a very good chance that if they were to test everybody in a given population they would find that the infection rate is well below 1% and those with strain S would be about the same or even milder than the typical seasonal flu symptoms, though those with strain L might find things more difficult (Wuhan and Italy for example).

So, before becoming too worried, be aware that the way the data is collected has a strong affect upon the statistics derived from that data.
But none of that sounds scary enough to justify people hoarding toilet paper (for whatever reason). Food supplies, that I can kind of understand. But all the yeast is gone. Eggs can be hard to find as well as many other things. However, I have the perfect survival plan - - - Potato chips! Nobody's hoarding those.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have the perfect survival plan - - - Potato chips! Nobody's hoarding those.
You can also get frozen broccoli or cauliflower pizza crusts and Hawaiian pizza. Plus the yucky soup "flavors".

I wish I still had hens, but I'm down to one stupid pet rooster. He only knew how to count to one and only protected one hen. She broke her neck flying down from the rafters, so it's just Stupid now.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Or enchiladas. I love enchiladas second only to tamales. Got a 2-1/2# loin roast for $1.99/# and made pulled pork. One enchilada takes about 1 oz to 1.5 oz of the pork, plus frozen kernel corn or black beans, etc. You also need chopped onion, cheese, and sliced olives. The only thing I am running short on is LaVictoria enchilada sauce. I make them in batches of 5, which is the largest casserole dish I have.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
There's always cat food. But then your breath will smell like cat food. Just ask 1584923505488.pngPhoto available on line - no copyright infringements.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
OK, maybe we should go back on topic now. Lysol seems to work pretty good. I bet Closeup Toothpaste (Red gel) thinned out with Listerine will kill just about anything. AND your project will have that fresh cinnamon smell.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Ah Yes!!! Let us not forget Dr. Lister the founding father of Antiseptics and his noble invention Listerine! Where is he is our time of need? Oh yeah... he died...

Psssttt... he didn't actually invent his namesake...

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
Today is said that anything containing ethanol over 30% in 30 seconds will kill it. Thus the vodka may help, isopropilspritus99% may help as well, but car screen washer not. For UV- the 320 bactericide lamps may NOT help, as this virus have only two easy destructable chemical bonds what one demand a 254 nm and another 180 nm. thus the QUARTZ!!! made Hg lamps may work well, however the minute long destruction demands 4 W/m2. Plus there are co-effect of ozone, that kills in minute by concentration of 4 mg/m3. If what, the human NOEL is 0,12 mg/m3 for single 8 hour exposition.

By the way, as subsequent quoted beyond mail from AAC official was informed me, that any discussion about virus pandemy is qualified as "panick-making and conspiracy theories" thus absolutely against the AAC politics. Seems we must discuss only the electronics and never anything even closely related.
RE:""Your post in the thread Impedance Matching Network / Band Pass Filter was deleted. Reason: Please do not traffic in Coronavirus conspiracy theories - JohnInTX; Thursday at 8:50 PM

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I feel obligation to explain bit deeper the sanitizing chemicals data - I have no chart for 30% ethanol, but for 78% solution it stays written the 1 minute exposition causes 3.5 digits ratio of killed CoViD virus. Thus 1% be 2 digits, and 0,05% alive for 3,5 digits; or more exact the 99,95% dead is 3,5 digits.
However, visurologs behind warned me that for public use they use ethanol with minor add-on of specific "12-floor long name" I never heard such, the substance crushing the RNA into fragments. Anyway, such substance is not available in normal scientific chemistry stores.