Counting the number of times I'm pushing a button

jim A

Joined Sep 17, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'd like to build a simple electronic system with a button (or a touch sensor) and a memory that can record the number of times I'm pushing the button (or press the touch sensor).

I wanted to know if anyone has a simple solution for that and which type of electronic material should I buy ?

Thanks

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Buy a step counter and modify it. Connect the push button in place of whatever device senses steps. You could also buy an electronic counter module or electromagnetic counter. There are many on Ebay.

Les.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
usually, counter circuits forget the count when power is turned off, and start over a 0 when power is turned back on. Is this OK, or do you need to remember the count during a power outage.?

ak

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Here's is the dual chips circuit that I used to count up to 999. It is also available as a kits and doesn't use a uC.

3 digit counter.PNG

Just add a push button and the de-bounce circuitry on the clock input.

jim A

Joined Sep 17, 2019
usually, counter circuits forget the count when power is turned off, and start over a 0 when power is turned back on. Is this OK, or do you need to remember the count during a power outage.?

ak
Hey AnalogKid,

Good questions, I forgot about that ! Yeah I would need to remember the count during a power outage...

jim A

Joined Sep 17, 2019
Oh Please...

Same here, SamR, it's not really what I'm asking for... I'd like to store the daily counting or directly send it to my computer, I don't really need to display the counting on a digital screen...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Jim, there are ways to do that with a microprocessor. Both count and transmit the data. Either as it counts or sending the count daily. It's a bit out of my reach but there should be others here that can help with it. What you do with the data, Excel, you already know. You apparently already have the sensor/button and building a count circuit is fairly easy. Exporting that count is where I bow out but a microprocessor is the way to go.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Jim, there are ways to do that with a microprocessor. Both count and transmit the data. Either as it counts or sending the count daily. It's a bit out of my reach but there should be others here that can help with it. What you do with the data, Excel, you already know. You apparently already have the sensor/button and building a count circuit is fairly easy. Exporting that count is where I bow out but a microprocessor is the way to go.
Indeed, and it could store the count in the built-in flash or EEPROM and send the count to a PC using a 433MHZ link, perhaps using the HC-12.

That would be a more complicated solution though if TS has no experience with embedded programming.