Could I simply supply the IC OPT101 using a power supply?

Gab Cruz

Joined Nov 16, 2015
Hi, if I am to test for the output waveform of the OPT101 using an oscilloscope, do I need proper biasing on the circuit or I could simply supply the IC using a power supply? I have tried the basic connections of the OPT101 and I powered it up by 5-10Vdc with1.5A but I got no luck in seeing its waveform in the oscilloscope.

Moderator's Note:
Please don't hijack other member's thread, now you have your own.

This thread was split from --
OPT101 Photodiode Transimpedance Amp circuit.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...ansimpedance-amp-circuit.108024/#post-1091451

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi, if I am to test for the output waveform of the OPT101 using an oscilloscope, do I need proper biasing on the circuit or I could simply supply the IC using a power supply? I have tried the basic connections of the OPT101 and I powered it up by 5-10Vdc with1.5A but I got no luck in seeing its waveform in the oscilloscope.

Moderator's Note:
Please don't hijack other member's thread, now you have your own.

This thread was split from --
OPT101 Photodiode Transimpedance Amp circuit.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...ansimpedance-amp-circuit.108024/#post-1091451
What kind of waveform are you expecting to se? What is your light source?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008

Below is the TS's initial circuit which had been posted in another thread.

The output of the OPT101 should self-bias the output to about 7.5 millivolts. No need to add any bias. With only a 7.5 millivolt offset, expect to see a small signal at the output.

Gab Cruz

Joined Nov 16, 2015
Hello guys, here's the pin connections that I used.
1-> 5V; Parallel ceramic( 0.1uf) & electrolytic(100uf) from Pin 5 to GND
2-> No connection
3-> GND
4 Feedback Input; Connect to 5
5 OUTPUT
6 No connection
7 No connection
8- GND
I just want to verify if the OPT101 that we ordered online is functioning well. However, I tried hooking it up to a programmable DC supply and I used 5-10Vdc 1.5A. I was expecting a waveform that corresponds to the light absorbed by the IC. But all I can see is a straight line corresponding to the DC supply.

I'll try again doing the circuit on a breadboard and I'll post again the results. Thank you for helping me :):):)

Attachments

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I can't tell from your answer whether it is the number printed on your power supply or the number of amps that the power supply is measuring. Which of the two is it? Is anything getting hot?

Back to the main issue, what voltage what DC voltage do you measure on the output of the OPT101?