Could I get a live volunteer please? My "shoot/no shoot" simulator is broken.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Always treat all guns like they are always loaded" so the cop playing the bad guy was careful to aim for a kill shot when he could have aimed at anything but the volunteer. Stupidity raised to the level of Fatal. Totally negligent manslaughter, and he's been punished with Paid Vacation (Administrative Leave).

No, wait, that wasn't manslaughter, it was, "a horrible accident".
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...t-dead-during-florida-police-academy-exercise

There is no law against, "horrible accidents", so no crime happened, right?

When the officer fired, live ammunition hit Knowlton — several times.

“Our entire police department and all of our city leaders are absolutely devastated for everyone involved in this unimaginable event,
said Punta Gorda Police Chief Tom Lewis in a press conference Tuesday night.
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-accidentally-kill-librarian/

That wasn't "unimaginable", his training kicked in. "Aim to kill and keep shooting until the threat (of survival) is neutralized."

This is the kind of stupid they give a gun and a badge.:mad:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Want to demonstrate something then use this. Rule #1 never use an 'empty' real gun in this type of training. treat every gun as if it was loaded

They make these for a reason.
There is no GD excuse for these types of training incidents...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"Citizen police academies are generally encouraged as a way to bolster ties between police department and the communities they protect." "An advertisement on the chamber website said the event was sold out."

That's probably going to change.

"Officers thought there was only blank ammunition available, he said." (Lewis said)

I bet he thought the highly trained Law Enforcement Professionals would check to see if the guns had real bullets, refuse to aim kill-shots at unarmed non-criminals, and stop firing after the first bullet hit the 73 year old volunteer.:(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This officer has history.
In 2013, Coel received two excessive force complaints, although the exact details of the incidents were not stated. The officer was stripped of his badge and placed on administrative leave.

“It was as if my heart and soul had been ripped out of my chest…,” Coel wrote in a letter included in his personnel file after the incident. “I knew that I had never used any amount of force which was not justified…”

Steve Knowlton told CNN that he is sure the officer is "in the worst hell of his life" after the shooting, "but I want him to know that we know that I'm sure he didn't intend on this happening, and I forgive him."

Now, now. Mustn't blame the victim.:rolleyes:
Better to dig up trash about the moral quality of the dead lady to justify the shooting.

[sarc/off]

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I really wonder if this officer is all there in the head. There might be much more than just an 'accident' here. Very poor judgement on the level of force needed for a unarmed drunk on bike.

http://www.winknews.com/2016/06/13/man-sues-punta-gorda-police-over-k-9-takedown/

“The bicycle did not have a headlight or tail light activated, making it nearly impossible to see the bicycle or rider,” Coel wrote in a police report.

In his report, Coel said Shumacher began to pedal faster making several turns on roads in the area. Footage shows Coel pursue Shumacher who finally comes to a stop in the driveway of a home.

Less than two minutes later, Coel would open his patrol car door, releasing his K-9 officer to take down Shumacher.

For the next two minutes, Coel wrestles with Schumacher while the dog rips into the flesh under his arm. Schumacher is heard in the footage moaning and yelling all while Coel makes commands.

Bloodied and handcuffed, Schumacher was rushed to the hospital where he stayed for 11 days undergoing surgery.

He received a warning citation for riding his bike without lights, according Coel’s police report. Shumacher also faced charges for attempting to elude an officer, violation of probation, DUI on a bicycle and obstructing an officer without violence.
However, following the incident, the PGPD changed its K-9 policy. Now to deploy a K-9, a suspect must show “aggressive resistance” not just “active resistance.” PGPD Chief Tom Lewis said he does not want to see the incident repeated.

“I think the biggest thing here is irrespective of the legalities and technicalities and everything else, we wanted to make sure that something like this never happened again,” Chief Lewis said.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Want to demonstrate something then use this. Rule #1 never use an 'empty' real gun in this type of training. treat every gun as if it was loaded

They make these for a reason.
There is no GD excuse for these types of training incidents...
As part of my work with dogs, I participate a great deal in training LEOs and security professionals in search, rescue, and apprehension. We always use the blue guns and knives in our training scenarios. If anyone were to pull out a black gun on the training field, or even have one on his person, he would be summarily dismissed, would lose his training privileges with us, and likely lose his job after the report we file.

Safety first.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
BTW, there exists "live" training ammo -- it's called Simunition. You fire it from your own gun, but you have to change barrels first. This prevents you from "accidentally" mixing simulated ammo with the real thing.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
BTW, there exists "live" training ammo -- it's called Simunition. You fire it from your own gun, but you have to change barrels first. This prevents you from "accidentally" mixing simulated ammo with the real thing.

The kit turns your weapon into a 'blue' gun but you still need full face protection and soft gun vests to play.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As a result, Paige--pictured at left in a still from the video--has been the "target of jokes, derision, ridicule, and disparaging comments" directed at him in restaurants, grocery stores, and airports. Paige, who writes that he was "once regarded as one of the best undercover agents, if not the best, in the DEA," points to the clip's recent airing on popular television shows and via the Internet as the reason he can no longer work undercover.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/17/agent-loses-appeal-over-accidental-shooting-video.html
The video shows that after Paige shot himself, he tried to continue his presentation to the Orlando Youth Minority Golf Association. "See how that accident happened?" he told the audience. "It can happen to you, and you can be blown away. So guys, never play with guns."

Limping, he started to bring out another gun to show but the audience protested. He tried to assure them the second weapon was unloaded — as he had claimed when he brought out the Glock — but ended the presentation when the crowd continued to object.
Thank goodness he can't, "The lord works in mysterious ways to save us all".

Some people are just stupid.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
About 10-years ago we painted our kid's air soft guns yellow because, as purchased, were indistinguishable from the neighbor's Glock when viewed from 10 feet away. We also made the orange tip about 2x bigger. I didn't want them running through the neighborhood and have someone decide to "protect themselves" or claim castle doctrine and shooting at my kids. The orange tip is a federal law, it wasn't on the air soft toys in the video - that should have been the reason for the confiscation - period. The claim to automatic weapons is beyond dumb.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The orange tip is a federal law, it wasn't on the air soft toys in the video - that should have been the reason for the confiscation - period. The claim to automatic weapons is beyond dumb.
The painted tips are done locally on the imported toys. They finally released the toys to the importer.

The ATF guy tried to install the mag backwards in the video.

“Idleness is the only refuge of weak minds, and the holiday of fools.”
Lord Chesterfield

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/01/25/shoestring-machine-gun/

Last edited: