Cotton Candy Motor

Doriw99

Joined Mar 20, 2021
I recently bought a vevor commercial cotton candy machine and the motor rotates way too fast. Is there any way I can slow it down or put a speed control knob on it? Not sure about the specs of the motor but this is what I got from the vevor website: 1000W max heating power, 30W operating power. Know a little about motors but not much.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Motor speed control will be a function of the type motor used. My memories of cotton candy machines were a very fast spinning tub which was well balanced. If you open things up a little the motor will have a name plate hopefully. The motor name plate will have all the motor information like voltage frequency and RPM.

Ron

Doriw99

Joined Mar 20, 2021
Motor speed control will be a function of the type motor used. My memories of cotton candy machines were a very fast spinning tub which was well balanced. If you open things up a little the motor will have a name plate hopefully. The motor name plate will have all the motor information like voltage frequency and RPM.

Ron

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The first image top[ is a transformer 110 volt to 9.0 volt step down. Below it is a full wave bridge rectifier. The black wires from transformer are AC to the bridge rectifier and the red and black are the + and - DC off the bridge rectifier. It appears there ois a pot on the front panel with a heat sink mounted device on it. Not sure what that pot is labeled? Front panel looks to have a switch, the pot, maybe a pilot light and maybe a meter. What does the meter indicate? The pot looks to be what would be a speed control. Less a schematic it's hard to tell what the design is.

Ron

Doriw99

Joined Mar 20, 2021
The first image top[ is a transformer 110 volt to 9.0 volt step down. Below it is a full wave bridge rectifier. The black wires from transformer are AC to the bridge rectifier and the red and black are the + and - DC off the bridge rectifier. It appears there ois a pot on the front panel with a heat sink mounted device on it. Not sure what that pot is labeled? Front panel looks to have a switch, the pot, maybe a pilot light and maybe a meter. What does the meter indicate? The pot looks to be what would be a speed control. Less a schematic it's hard to tell what the design is.

Ron
It reads 110 when you have to heat knob all the way up and I have more pics. Is there any way to slow it down or put a speed control on it?

Attachments

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I think the spinning motor is used to create the “pressure” to extrude the molten sugar out of the orifice. If you slow it down, the sugar will likely just sit in the cup or, if the sugar does get ejected, it will not be ejected to the outer wall where it is easily collected on the paper cone.
If you are unlucky enough that the sugar heats but is spinning too slowly to eject from the little holes on the sides, you end up with a puddle of hard-crack rock candy in the center of the cup after a heating cycle

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I believe that covers it. Yes, OK they use an adjustable heater element to melt the sugar and to get the melted sugar to extrude through the tiny holes requires a fast spin. Good video and fond memories of Coney Island. :)

Ron

Doriw99

Joined Mar 20, 2021
I believe that covers it. Yes, OK they use an adjustable heater element to melt the sugar and to get the melted sugar to extrude through the tiny holes requires a fast spin. Good video and fond memories of Coney Island. :)

Ron
Yes, I understand that it has to spin fast but this one spins really fast and I can not keep up with the cotton candy and I have never had this problem before. It really needs to rotate a little bit slower and it would be perfect.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Some motors can be speed controlled with a simple speed control using a phase fired SCR. Speed controllers for them can be had in any home improvement store. Problem is I am not sure what will or will not work with this motor configuration. The simple controllers are similar in operation to a lamp dimmer for an incandescent lamp. Generally rated up to 600 watts. I am just not sure that will work for what you have. Popular also with ceiling fan motors.

Ron

Doriw99

Joined Mar 20, 2021
Some motors can be speed controlled with a simple speed control using a phase fired SCR. Speed controllers for them can be had in any home improvement store. Problem is I am not sure what will or will not work with this motor configuration. The simple controllers are similar in operation to a lamp dimmer for an incandescent lamp. Generally rated up to 600 watts. I am just not sure that will work for what you have. Popular also with ceiling fan motors.

Ron
Ya, that is the conclusion I had come to also. Another question is can I connect a foot pedal to the on and off switch so I can control it that way?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If this is a simple rectified supply for a DC motor, i.e. no capacitor, then a SCR to control the 120hz ripple should work, if this is a very high rpm, could be a series field DC motor, when fed direct, RPM is controlled by load.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
When I was a baby we lived in Kew Gardens, Queens for a short time. Eventually Uniondale, Long Island became home. Grandparents lived in Brooklyn's Park Slope area. :)

Ron
I was born in Hollis Heights, move to Little Neck as a baby, eventually to Laurelton, then Jersey as a young teen. I do remember class trips to Coney, and also going with my grandfather.