Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I wonder whether Governor Newsom (California) is reading this.
And just why do you think they were quarantined in his state??? :eek:

New Conspiracy Theory Warning!!!

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
The ones that are panicking are the chinese but their government tends to do that to control the masses. Can you imagine the US quarantining an entire state?
Well, in the past, SARS & MERS wasn't so benign. Maybe they are erring on the side of caution, as this is a Coronavirus too, and might mutate for the worse. OTOH, paranoid state leadership might be making decisions based on that worldview, and because they can? Might be unfortunate decision, especially if they suffer unwarranted economic effects.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
China has a population of approximately 1.4 billion. When you take that into account, the numbers they have made public so far are really insignificant. The people most susceptible to flu are the elderly who have respiratory problems. There will be at least several million of them among that 1.4 billion.
The Canadian news channels are having a ball with the information, stirring up panic to generate headlines. According to them, between the virus and the American impeachment trial, nothing else is happening in the world!
Have a slice of lemon with your Corona. The vitamin C will protect you from evil.
Keith

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I take chinese news with a big dose of salt. Everything they broadcast in English has been Government Censor approved and can be considered propaganda with all the spin put on it. I used to listen to their shortwave radio broadcast chinese version of their BBC or VOA for a good laugh hearing all the spin they would put on current events. There may even be some validity to the RUMOR that it was released by mistake from a government research facility. There may even be a totally different reason for quarantining that province than the one their government is giving. Who knows what is the real truth coming out of China.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Driving in China is still much more dangerous than Coronaviruses.
Great video. In the US, I haven't seen that craziness so much as the "both-hands-on-the-wheel and 10-mph-under-the-speed-limit" drivers. In a former life, one of my friends was from China and was such a driver. I got stuck behind him one morning going to work. Friendship prevailed -- but I was looking for side streets and alternative routes.

Last edited:

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
Working in Beijing the "driver" would pull into oncoming traffic to pass and shift into a HIGHER gear (higher means faster). He only had to get half way ahead of the other car, then swerve right making the other driver apply brakes. Typically they'd start from stop in 2nd gear and shift up at 1000 RPM. When approaching an intersection, they NEVER look for perpendicular traffic since if they make eye contact they would have to slow down. At night they'd turn the headlights off if they were not moving. Also, no heater fan allowed. This was for fuel economy.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
I think we're being glib about the coronavirus. It can not be contained, and maybe we shouldn't even try, because
the economic effects will be greater if we try to contain it and fail, rather than just letting it burn. I believe we are
in a hopeless situation. Sometimes, you have to let go, or get dragged.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
There have been less than 250 fatal cases in Wuhan which is a city of over 12 million population.

Now there's been only one case in California which has a population of about 40 million.

I couldn't care less about this pseudo crisis (that seems to be hyped up by the media) and I'm not bothering to wear a mask unless I'm working with spray paint.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I couldn't care less about this pseudo crisis (that seems to be hyped up by the media) and I'm not bothering to wear a mask unless I'm working with spray paint.
A repeat of the 1918 H1N1 flu, in its early stages, would look just like today's news. Because of population density and travel advances since then, it'd probably kill several hundred million, maybe even a billion this time around. I'm not wearing a mask yet, but I'm staying out of cities until this is over.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
There have been less than 250 fatal cases in Wuhan which is a city of over 12 million population.

Now there's been only one case in California which has a population of about 40 million.

"Herd Immunity" works for Average Flu viruses, for those with a compromised immune system shouldn't dose themselves with Flu Vaccine because they might become infected the Vaccine then mutate the Vaccine given to them, I am one of those people who become Vaccinated and become deathly ill. When I stopped Vaccinating I've avoided the Flu for over 16 years, "Herd Immunity" works for me as long as a large number of people Vaccinate, I also reduce possible mutations of the Virus because I didn't Vaccinate.

I'm wondering how many people will chose avoidance rather than mask up and hope they don't get infected. Maybe I'll have better luck this year selling my Dads house when all those Californian's come to Utah to get away from Large Populations, and move to more Rural areas in the Midwest. LOL

kv

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Just read that the US is implementing more measures to slow the spread. Unfortunately, the structure the previous Administration put in place to react to epidemics (after having to react to an Ebola outbreak) has been dismantled by the current one.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
A repeat of the 1918 H1N1 flu, in its early stages, would look just like today's news. Because of population density and travel advances since then, it'd probably kill several hundred million, maybe even a billion this time around. I'm not wearing a mask yet, but I'm staying out of cities until this is over.
What they can't contain is "Human Trafficking" or the leaky pipe. I agree with you @wayneh the 1918 or Spanish Flu circled and estimated 3 times before dying out when it returned to it's epicenter, those who became immune or are naturally immune survived along with those who avoided the virus.

kv

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
There is so much hysteria a friend in San Francisco said he is not coming to Thailand this month, but instead is having his wife and daughter fly to San Francisco to see him because of the dreaded virus.

Similarly, a friend said that she opted to have her European boyfriend fly to our city from Bangkok rather than her going down there because of the prevalence of people from a certain country in Bangkok. Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.