Cordless drill power.

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Hi Everyone,

I am sure this is a simple question, but the 3rd question maybe harder.

Can I power a 18 volt cordless drill from a 20 volt battery of the same make?
Can I power a 20 volt drill from a 18 volt battery?

If I take a dead battery and strip out it’s insides, and wire up a 18volt circuit to put inside the battery case, then connect this to the mains electric, will it power the drill ok?
Any ideas?

The reason I ask this question is that I have a dead batteries for this drill, and it would be useful to have something so when the others go flat I have something just to finish the job off with.

Thanks for the help.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Yes to all, but your drill current dictates how long these cells last.

You can strip down the battery and replace cells ok.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Yes to all, but your drill current dictates how long these cells last.

You can strip down the battery and replace cells ok.
Nickel chemistry can have a high casualty rate. The chargers are usually pretty crude and shorted cells due to overcharging isn't exactly rare. Each failed cell gives the diminishing number of survivors more stress.

Its generally worth replacing with all new cells, the ones that look OK are probably just being brave...….

Last time I looked - a new battery was more than just buying a whole new drill. A good deal on cells can make repair worthwhile.

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
Thanks guys.

I will definitely look into buying new cells for the dead ones, are they just rechargeable batteries with a high rating or are they special cells for power drills.

I might try modding a old battery into something I can plug into the mains, even if it just for a small project to do.
Any ideas on how to make up a circuit board for a 18volt drill?
Thanks again

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
I have a few words about 18 and 20 volt drills.

A 5 cell Li/Ion battery drill can be sold as an 18 Volt machine on the European market, and as a 20 Volt machine in the United States.

Jonlate

Joined Dec 21, 2017
“A 5 cell Li/Ion battery drill can be sold as an 18 Volt machine on the European market, and as a 20 Volt machine in the United States.”

How can that happen? Surely a 18 volt battery can’t make up two volt on a trip to the USA?

Any ideas on a 240 volt to 18 volt circuit yet? ( I am in Ireland and we have real electric here!!)

Great information as always, thanks everyone.

J

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
It's probably something about marketing, and that a Li / Ion cell can measure both 3.6 and 4.0 volt, depending on the charge status.
The not lower than voltage is somewhere around 2.75 ish. Very early cells had a 4.1 maximum, most common now is 4.2 and I see the occasional 4.3.