converting devices to 12V

SNEW

Joined Jun 28, 2020
I want to a convert a couple of networking devices to run off a single 12V battery. I have a rough and simple plan but I'm fairly inexperienced so any feedback or advice would be much appreciated - though making mistakes are part of learning I'd like to avoid potentially damaging either device!

Device A needs 12V/0.5A, looking at it's data sheet there doesn't seem to be any wiggle room there. Device B can take 44-57V though its original power supply gives 56V/2A. The battery I want to use gives 16.8-11V and a max of 14A.

My plan is to have the battery run straight into a junction box and output the first stream into a 12V regulator and then into Device A. The second stream would run into a 56V step-up converter and then into Device B.

Would this work?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you battery can go down below the overhead voltage your 12 V regulator needs (which might be two to three volts, depending on the regulator) then you won't get 12 V out of it. Is the other device looking for a DC voltage, or an AC voltage? The same question technically applies to the first device, but it's almost certainly a 12 VDC device.

I would just use a suitable DC-DC converter. They make them that can either step up or step down and that have multiple adjustable outputs.

SNEW

Joined Jun 28, 2020
Thanks WBahn, yes both devices are DC. So I could get one DC-DC converter that could output to both devices at their required voltages?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks WBahn, yes both devices are DC. So I could get one DC-DC converter that could output to both devices at their required voltages?
More than likely. Check DigiKey or Mouser to see what they have available. Another source are "battery eliminators" from RC (radio control) websites, though I don't know how much you will find in the 50 V output range.