Convert AC Voltage to DC Voltage

clf

Joined May 15, 2006
I need to convert 115 VAC to VDC to control a small DC motor of 1/29HP load of .030A. I also want to vary the voltage to the motor to control it's speed. I am replacing a failed circuit board that had all kinds of bells and whistles I don't need. I was looking at a power bridge rectifier for the conversion but I don't know what to use for the motor control. Is this the right approach. I also would like to keep the cost down as much as possible

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Got any idea of the voltage the motor likes to run on? If it's a universal brush motor, it will do AC as well as DC (no speed control). What did the failed board do?

clf

Joined May 15, 2006
Originally posted by beenthere@May 15 2006, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Got any idea of the voltage the motor likes to run on? If it's a universal brush motor, it will do AC as well as DC (no speed control). What did the failed board do?
[post=17119]Quoted post[/post]​
The motor has brushes in it. I don't know what a universal brush motor is but I can hook up AC to it and see if it will run. It's a Bodine Type 24A2BEPM. The board was controlled by a timer and without time on the timer the motor would not run. When we try to turn it on the timer led screen goes blank and we can't get the speed control to start the motor. This thing is used in a nasty environment and it's really not worth having the board replaced.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Bodine's website lists five different model numbers for this motor type - 1/29hp:
Bodine series "24A" motors

Two of them are 24V at 1.8A, and the other three are 130V at 0.3A. Is the "0.030A" in the first post a typing error?

Belden has a 130V PWM speed controller for about a hundred bucks. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is much better than varying voltage to control motor speed.

Controller

clf

Joined May 15, 2006
Originally posted by thingmaker3@May 15 2006, 02:33 PM
Bodine's website lists five different model numbers for this motor type - 1/29hp:
Bodine series "24A" motors

Two of them are 24V at 1.8A, and the other three are 130V at 0.3A. Is the "0.030A" in the first post a typing error?

Belden has a 130V PWM speed controller for about a hundred bucks. PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is much better than varying voltage to control motor speed.

Controller
[post=17123]Quoted post[/post]​
Yes it was a typing error, that is the motor we have. I think I will go with the Belden speed controller. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.