Convert 3 phase to single phase by paralleling elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheek49

Joined Mar 6, 2019
I have a friend who purchased a 3 phase Heat Press Machine not knowing all they had was single phase. The unit is pretty big. The spec on the side says 30 amp/ 7000w/60 hz/220 (3phase). I would say the unit top is about a 3x3.

I have read in the forum that the machine could work by hooking the elements in parallel. I see two rather big wires going into the top half which I assume goes to the heating elements. I don't know how many elements there are. I have not looked inside.

If this did work could we just find the ends of the element wires at the terminal box and hook them in parallel there?

Has anyone had any experience trying this?

Thanks

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You would need a 50amp circuit and breakers for that load, it should be possible to hook up to 240v 1ph, as there is more than likely there is nothing 3ph dependant on there.
Often heaters such as this load use a step timer to put each bank on line sequentially.
Is there any motors involved?
Max.

scheek49

Joined Mar 6, 2019
You would need a 50amp circuit and breakers for that load, it should be possible to hook up to 240v 1ph, as there is more than likely there is nothing 3ph dependant on there.
Often heaters such as this load use a step timer to put each bank on line sequentially.
Max.

Attachments

scheek49

Joined Mar 6, 2019
Max.
There are no motors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The machine appears to be connected for just 3ph in so usually the elements would be wired phase to phase.
What is there in the way of controller etc?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If that is a 1ph control and transformer, you would need to ensure it is across the correct single phase feed, confirm the rating of it, should be on the outside.
Max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.