Conversion from electronic computer operator and servers to electronicist or electrician

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
I want to know if it's possible to change your profession to something that doesn't have to do with checking computer errors and print papers all day.I have no idea what this job means and I don't want to be stuck with it forever.Our electronical engineer teacher told us that we were electronicists but after a while I had the feeling that he lied all of us and that did happen.I really don't want to waste another 4 years of anything that is related to highschool or other specialization schools.What can I do?I could try to become an engineer but I never worked with machines in all my life.I wanted to try in the navy by becoming an electrical officer but I am not sure of myself if I can push my limits and achieve a higher understanding of what can happen in relays,generators,engines,electric meters,etc.
What are your advices?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I want to know if it's possible to change your profession to something that doesn't have to do with checking computer errors
What are your advices?
I have never been in favour of picking a career out of the hat because it sounds good, the most successful in any profession is generally because it based on inherent interests, you are more likely to stick with it and succeed.
And in general self initiated learning is more likely to happen out of the class room.
Max.

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
I have never been in favour of picking a career out of the hat because it sounds good, the most successful in any profession is generally because it based on inherent interests, you are more likely to stick with it and succeed.
And in general self initiated learning is more likely to happen out of the class room.
Max.
Well the thing is I don't like this career and I want another career.Are you saying that I should start learning by myself and stop going to school?

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
@MaxHeadRoom I'm not picking these careers because they sound good,I'm picking these careers because I want to find my passion.Checking some errors in the computer is not something interesting.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What are your advices?
Pick something you enjoy and have an aptitude for.

Good communications skills are a requirement in most fields, so you might want to spend some time learning how to express your thoughts clearly while you're going about learning new technical skills.

Last edited:

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
What is it you like to do?

Find a way to make money doing it.
Well I like doing electronical circuits but not with MOSFETS,CMOS,thyristors,amplifiers and everything that is harder than a diode,transistor,IC,etc.I wanted to try being a electrical officer in the navy but I don't know if I will have a chance if my study was in a complete different path.I'm not sure if that is what an electrician does in a ship but I went do a trip in another town where I met some experienced electricians and what I saw there wasn't what I expected.I thought that electricians use circuits like the electronic technician guys but after what they did with that automated fuse I didn't know that this is their job.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
There is very little knowledge overlap between an electrician and an electrical engineer/technician.

The latter should have enough knowledge to become the former with minimal additional training, but the going the other direction will typically require significant additional education.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
If you are young and not sure of your path, consider a stint in the service. They will test your pointy little head and tell you if you are good at any thing. And depending on how well you adapt to military life.....one can usually pick what area to go into.

If you can pass certain tests......they will even guarantee your training field before enlistment.

I don't know where you're at...but the US use to do this. AND it is a great life experience.....all men should do this.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I'm old school. A women on a warship is a bad idea. That goes for foxholes too. And that's not because of the women....it's because of the men.

That's just a personal view with no matter/meaning in this age. Unless the the TS is female. Then pardon me.

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
I'm old school. A women on a warship is a bad idea. That goes for foxholes too. And that's not because of the women....it's because of the men.

That's just a personal view with no matter/meaning in this age. Unless the the TS is female. Then pardon me.
Not warships,I meant commercial ships.That's not the same thing.

wolly

Joined Jul 11, 2018
There is very little knowledge overlap between an electrician and an electrical engineer/technician.

The latter should have enough knowledge to become the former with minimal additional training, but the going the other direction will typically require significant additional education.
Are you saying that an electrician can't become an electrical engineer?What an electrician learns is not the same with what an engineer does?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Are you saying that an electrician can't become an electrical engineer?What an electrician learns is not the same with what an engineer does?
I started out in occupational life as a Industrial Electrician in the UK, I went on to take the necessary courses for Industrial Electronics Technician, for which I was gainfully employed in for about 10yrs, I then emigrated and went into the then emerging PLC and CNC arena, retro-fitting older industrial control systems systems etc. I worked along side one Electronics Engineer and received the same rate of pay, (doing the same job),.
I even taught him a few things. :D
Ended up with my own company.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I said that an electrician would typically require significant additional education to become an electrical engineer. And that going from electrical engineer to electrician would require minimal additional education.

Some electricians may never make the transition because electrical engineering requires a lot of math, physics, and theory that an electrician may not have the aptitude to learn.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You don't necessarily need to become an certified Engineer, (Good) Electronic technicians are a rare breed and are generally in great demand, as I have previously posted on occasion, Siemens realized this back in the early 60's and started setting up technical schools in order to fill the gap between the electrician and the engineer, which at that time was the early stages of more and more electronics entering into the industrial manufacturing arena and other areas etc.
Many engineers do not care to get their hands dirty, so to speak, and work at the factory floor level.
Max.

I really don't want to waste another 4 years of anything that is related to highschool or other specialization schools.
I discovered that electronics was my passion at the age of 12. Since then, that passion haven't changed, and won't change I think.
At 12, I started technical high school in Industrial Electronics (4 years) and then started my degree in Electronics Engineering (5 more years). But... I started to work during my third year of college because I felt the necessity to put into practice many concepts. That's why I haven't forgotten some important topics. If you ask me if I plan to spend 2 more years doing a master, I'm not sure yet. But if I find the right chance, I would do it. Now.. self-learning is one of the most powerful tools you could take advantage of in this era of the internet.

I'm still kind of young to give good advices, but what I can say is that you're the only one who can find your passion. Eventually, you may find inspiration on other people. Start to explore the Electronics/Electricals fields to see what catch your attention the most.

Well I like doing electronical circuits but not with MOSFETS,CMOS,thyristors,amplifiers and everything that is harder than a diode,transistor,IC,etc.
But a MOSFET is a transistor....

Anyways, have you thought of an application circuit you would like to build?

danatic

Joined Jul 4, 2015
I think alot of it is fear of the future. Try working on internships to see whether engineer fit you. Fear of unknown means uncertainty and hesitation on decision making