Conventional vs Electron flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalengineer3

Joined Feb 6, 2020
Besides being quite obtuse, nothing,
Okay and that’s what I was saying the whole time. It is not wrong to make that statement, it is no way beneficial, but wrong, no. The only reason I wanted to verify this fact is because when we say that current moves opposite electrons you have to know that it means positive current moves opposite electrons. It does not mean it is impossible to draw a conventional current in the direction of electrons. We do that all the time and it just holds a negative value. This does not break convention but it also does not come up much in practice. Could we settle on all of that?

electricalengineer3

Joined Feb 6, 2020
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/final-summary-about-current.171023/

Ultimately, I would just like to have these questions answered for peace of mind. I know I have probably annoyed the ever living crap out of all of you, and I don’t know how I can repay you all. Maybe I can pay for someone’s lunch or something. Ultimately, I hope you all have a great Fourth of July (please don’t worry about answering tomorrow, I hope you get to spend the time with loved ones), I do not mean to come across as stubborn or insensitive or anything else. I am just a curious student trying to understand things (maybe more stubborn than most) just like many of you may have been in the past. I know you guys think it’s stupid I even care about this, but I can’t help my curiosity and confusion. If anyone could help me settle those 4 questions, I would appreciate it very much and this thread will end forever. Regardless you are all very helpful and I can’t thank you enough.

electricalengineer3

Joined Feb 6, 2020
Something easier to discuss may be using my picture. Case A is conventional current in the direction of positive charge (positive value). Case B is conventional current in the direction of electrons so it has a negative value. Case C is a new convention, often referred to as electron flow, which points in the direction of electrons with a positive value. If this description is correct, than I understand everything just fine.

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Something easier to discuss may be using my picture. Case A is conventional current in the direction of positive charge (positive value). Case B is conventional current in the direction of electrons so it has a negative value. Case C is a new convention, often referred to as electron flow, which points in the direction of electrons with a positive value. If this description is correct, than I understand everything just fine.
How is that any different than what I told you less than a week after this thread started?

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/conventional-vs-electron-flow.166883/post-1477052

Status
Not open for further replies.