Controlling a DC motor

CarlW

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Hi all, new here so please forgive me if I don't use the correct terms. I know almost nothing about electronics but something about AC and DC electricity. With that noted, here goes. I have a 24 V DC motor that I want to make run without a motor controller if that is possible. This system was controlled by a 24V OT 301A9. Maximum current :29A motor controller. Is this controller what they call PWM?
It has two 12V batteries hooked in Series.
The charge side of the controller is good but the run side doesn't work. Motor is good..Tested by jumping directly from the battery to the motor and it runs fine. Even tested it backwards, runs but a little slower, which I assume is the nature of the beast.
I am looking for a cheap way of controlling this motor or a place where I can find a replacement motor controller and a schematic for it. All help will be greatly appreciated. Oh yes, one more note. This set up is on one of those Razor style scooters. Was given to me and I want to fix it for my Gkids. Thanks in advance. Carl

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Have you considered the possibility of purchasing a new controller? Here is a link to one website that sells the controller.

It will be nice to get the scooter up and running quickly so that you can impress you Gkids with your skill.

hgmjr

CarlW

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Thanks Hg. My Gkids already know that I am a super, know it all about everything. I doubt they will care about that part, all they want is to ride the darn thing. Thanks for the site. Almost what the DR ordered. Price is right so I ordered one. Would still like to know if and how to make it work without the Mcontroller. Before we had all this electronic stuff, they controlled motors, I just don't know how. Carl

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Sounds like you have a lucky bunch of grandkids.

There are less sophisticated ways to control the motor but the original controller is bound to offer the best performance and safety that can be derived from the motor.

hgmjr

CarlW

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Well, you know the story, keep them busy and they stay out of the shop. I would like to learn some of the less sophicated ways to control this motor. Carl

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Since I know that you will not try these , here goes.
Using heavy duty tap switch, connect 6V cells in series,each connection going to a tap. Problems : Heck on charging ,heck on batteries ; series parallel the batteries , complicated switching, some charging problems ; with 8 position tap sw. , connect .1 150 W. resistors between between 7 taps ,one for off ; lots of heat and where do you find 150W .1 ohm resistors. Hint- it takes a lot of bailing wire. Two V cells were once available for finer control.