control theory in circuit design

RSmid_9

Joined May 1, 2020
Good morning,

I am an EE student and attended a control theory course last term which mainly focused on mechanical systems.
At the moment I am looking for a book/website that gives examples how control theory is applied in circuit design.
Lecturers often talk about how adding some component to the circuit has a positive systemtheoretical impact. My intention is to develop some kind of intuiton for this.

Has somebody a recommendation for a book/website for me? Thank you very much for your help!

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Closed-loop control is ubiquitous in crcuit design, even in the simplest of systems; feedback is used nearly everywhere to determine gain (i.e., amplification factor), frequency response and time-domain response. Just about any circuit design textbook will treat the subject extensively.

Last edited:

Analog Ground

Joined Apr 24, 2019
Are you interested in how electronic circuits are used in control systems or how control theory is used in the design of circuits such as amplifiers, filters, oscillators, etc. If circuit design, there are many examples of circuits using operational amplifiers and feedback. For example, a Wien Bridge Oscillator or active filters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien_bridge_oscillator

Here is a circuit which you want to oscillate. Just the opposite behavior of designing a normal control system.

Last edited:

RSmid_9

Joined May 1, 2020
Closed-loop control is ubiquitous in crcuit design, even in the simplest of systems; feedback is used nearly everywhere to determine gain (i.e., amplification factor), frequency response and time-domain response. Just about any circuit design textbook will treat the subject extensively.
Thank you for your help. Which circuit design textbooks can you recommend?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
There are a lot of textbooks with "Control System Design" in the title you can look on the web.
It would be best to find one that includes state space.
I would be good to avoid those with "Matlab" being used unless you dont mind using Matlab for everything you do now and in the future and dont mind not learning about the real math behind some of this stuff.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Which circuit design textbooks can you recommend?
Hard to say; I started in electronics back in the vacuum tube era, and haven't opened a textbook in over 40 years.

You might try going on Amazon and searching on the term "analog circuit design." That should bring up a bunch of possibilities.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Just to note, control system design is a sort of field of its own and there have been many books written that are dedicated to that alone. Of course the prerequisite is going to be analog and/or digital analysis and design.