Control IC Chip for Switch Mode P.S Design.

MELEZZOR

Joined Jan 23, 2019
Which Control I.C brand is best for building a simple SMPS of 3.3V and 5V DC output? Currently I am looking at KA7552 but want something simpler.

I intend on using a single P Channel MOSFET with two 470uF 16V Filter Caps for the DC Secondary side.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Which Control I.C brand is best for building a simple SMPS of 3.3V and 5V DC output? Currently I am looking at KA7552 but want something simpler.

I intend on using a single P Channel MOSFET with two 470uF 16V Filter Caps for the DC Secondary side.
Simple does not exactly describe this application. I guess the best one for you is one that won't smoke when you hook things up incorrectly. SMPS design and construction generally requires some care and experience in component selection and board layout. You should not expect a SMPS on a breadboard to work correctly. You should probably try to walk before you try to run a marathon. Boost converters are more demanding than buck converters. Do you understand the basic principal that output power will ALWAYS be less, sometimes a great deal less, than input power? Do you also understand that in some cases parts will need to withstand twice the current of voltage that you might expect? You mention DC secondary side as if you think that a transformer may be involved. You normally would not have a transformer in a typical boost converter of the type you are talking about.