continuous adding using 74192?

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
hi guys, is it possible to have the counter increment by 'N' instead of just 1?
like for example for every pulse it increments by 5?

because i have a planned circuit that has two buttons, 1 and 5.
when i hit the 1 button it would display 1 on the 7segment, then when i hit the 5 button it would add to 1 and would display the total of 6.
i tried using adders but whenever i hit the button it displays 5 or 1 then goes back to zero. so i'm thinking if it's possible with counters since the counter retains its value and increments for every button pressed.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Post the circuits you've tried and their issues.

Are you required to use that counter?

How many digits do you require? Do you require up and down counting with preset capability?

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Post the circuits you've tried and their issues.

Are you required to use that counter?

How many digits do you require? Do you require up and down counting with preset capability?
here's my circuit using 4-bit bcd adder. i can go and add them both with a switch but when i turn of both switches it returns to 0.
same with a button. also it's not required to use a counter, i just thought i could use it to temporarily store and accumulate the total.

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
also in my current circuit i can only add and display up to 19, i can do it to 99 but first i need to figure out how to keep the total in display.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you require up/down and preset capability?

Why does it seem so difficult for you to answer more than one question at a time? It makes for very tedious dialog when I have to keep repeating questions...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
To expand on what @MrChips posted. The guaranteed output HIGH from 74LS isn't high enough for the guaranteed input HIGH for CD4xxx. A pullup resistor is required in that case. You also need to watch fanout of CD4xxx driving 74LS. Among other things...

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
Do you require up/down and preset capability?

Why does it seem so difficult for you to answer more than one question at a time? It makes for very tedious dialog when I have to keep repeating questions...
oh sorry, i think not? since all i need is to have an increment output so that would only be up. i'm just starting to learn so i'm not so good and familiar with this stuff.

Don't mix 74LSxx series ICs with 4xxx CMOS ICs.
They don't talk to each other very well.
i changed the AND/OR gates to 74LSxx now. thanks for pointing that out. i'm just new with this.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
well i could try
Had some free time, so I designed the counter.

Video shows the counter cycling through counting by 5 and ends counting by 1. Increment mode is controlled by the inc input. I used the same counter for the second digit, but hardwired to increment by 1.

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
hi, i have managed to make it increment by 5 but my only problem is it starts at 10 instead of 00. so my output will be 10 15 20 25 etc, and not 00 05 10 15 20 25 etc heres my schem

ayzzanity

Joined Oct 8, 2017
disregard my previous post, i was able to reconstruct and have 1 and 5 on the adder but my problem is i don't know how to display the second digit to the 7 segment when the value is over 9 (like 10 or above), so i can only add 0-9 and i want it to be 0-99. here's my new circuit schem.

Attachments