Constant Force Solenoid or Closed Loop?

ncmm15

Joined Nov 12, 2015
Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me better understand Solenoid control. I am building a prototype, and in the design I have multiple Solenoids. My question is if I regulate voltage supply (Volts AMPS) to the solenoids, lets say 3.2v MAX, would push force on the load remain constant across entire movable plain? I need the plunger to apply force of 60 grams on the (load) every time its active. The problem is distance between load and plunger may vary by 10mm I want the plunger to apply same force regardless of distance between the two. I have read about Open and Closed Loop Systems, but thought maybe there is a way to illuminate load sensor and a controller if possible. Would appreciate any help or suggestions thanks.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Very tricky.

Closed loop feedback works like magic IF you have a simple way to get parameter feedback from the device.
Might be doable with a load cell sensor providing feedback, 10 mm @ 60 grams is going to require a nasty, big and power hungry solenoid, or a rare and expensive moving coil actuator.

Why does it have to be a solenoid?

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My question is if I regulate voltage supply (Volts AMPS) to the solenoids, lets say 3.2v MAX, would push force on the load remain constant across entire movable plain?
Generally speaking, very generally speaking the answer is yes. This would go much better if you mentioned the exact linear actuator solenoid you have in mind and provided a data sheet link. Linear Actuator Solenoids normally have a rated coil voltage and current they are designed to function with meeting a set of specifications like force and throw (linear travel). Depending on exactly what you want to do a solenoid may not be the best choice as a servo type motor may offer better response. Solenoid action is a pretty instant affair so measuring force during the transition of the cylindrical tube won't be easy. Solenoid travel time is measured in milli-seconds.

<EDIT> I see sensacell pretty much covered it as I slowly typed. :) </EDIT>

Ron

ncmm15

Joined Nov 12, 2015
Very tricky.

Closed loop feedback works like magic IF you have a simple way to get parameter feedback from the device.
Might be doable with a load cell sensor providing feedback, 10 mm @ 60 grams is going to require a nasty, big and power hungry solenoid.
Very tricky.

Might be doable with a load cell sensor providing feedback, 10 mm @ 60 grams is going to require a nasty, big and power hungry solenoid, or a rare and expensive moving coil actuator.

I've done a lot of research you might be right I might have to use a sensor and feedback system. I have to use solenoid because the processes have to happen really fast in less then a second and a space is limited as well. thanks tho

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me better understand Solenoid control. I am building a prototype, and in the design I have multiple Solenoids. My question is if I regulate voltage supply (Volts AMPS) to the solenoids, lets say 3.2v MAX, would push force on the load remain constant across entire movable plain? I need the plunger to apply force of 60 grams on the (load) every time its active. The problem is distance between load and plunger may vary by 10mm I want the plunger to apply same force regardless of distance between the two. I have read about Open and Closed Loop Systems, but thought maybe there is a way to illuminate load sensor and a controller if possible. Would appreciate any help or suggestions thanks.
Not really my area, but AFAIK a simple solenoid has a force/stroke curve something like:

upload_2017-11-7_13-38-58.png
e.g. see: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.428.9647&rep=rep1&type=pdf

what you want is a proportional solenoid, google will come up with hits and references.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
You need the closed-loop servo system. The graph tesla23 posted looks a bit conservative for many solenoids.

just my 2 bits...

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
How about a 60 gram plunger that applies force directly or with a bell crank linkage or with a string / pulley arraignment. And use the solenoid coil to retract it. Maybe a latching solenoid if it is off most of the time.

Last edited: