Connecting PSU to mains "Wrong way/polarity"

snowboy

Joined Oct 4, 2014
This might be a stupid question as I can't find any other post asking the same or don't know the wording to search it correctly.

I have few of these cheap 220V to 12v/10A switched power supplies from ebay. It has Ground, N and L in. What would happen if the Neutral is connected to L and L is connected to Neutral? From what I remember from the school it should not matter (diode bridge?), but it's been so many years.. :)

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I have few of these cheap 220V to 12v/10A switched power supplies from ebay. It has Ground, N and L in. What would happen if the Neutral is connected to L and L is connected to Neutral? From what I remember from the school it should not matter (diode bridge?), but it's been so many years.. :)
Yes, you can connect L-N N-L vice versa

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Well... It may seem to work but you may have serious safety issues lurking there depending on what else is in there, if nothing else than the layout would expose more of the neutral connections over hot connections.

Connect it properly. If you already wired it up you probably did not damage anything, so just turn it off and correct the mistake.

snowboy

Joined Oct 4, 2014
I live in Finland, and yes, I can't tell which pin is neutral without tearing the wall socket. Hence the question.