Connecting a 3 phase inverter to a single phase line.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Fused7, May 10, 2018.

1. Fused7

Thread Starter New Member

May 10, 2018
    Hi all .

I was just delivered a machine that has an inverter built in to variable power the motor. The inverter has a 3 phase 220 in. We have 220 but we don't have 3 phase.

The inverter is a Lenze inverter in the machine and they mention you can connect this to a single phase line but the machine will run at 50%.

Question is... What lines to connect to the single phase? I have wires labeled Nuetral, Phase #1, Phase #2, Phase #3 and ground.

I assume ground and neutral as is and then Phase #1 to hot?

Any other suggestions apart from bypassing the built in inverter and wiring in a standalone single phase to 3 phase inverter? Rotery will probably be super pricy I think to power this bad boy . Looking for a budget but good way to do this.

Thanks
    Fused7

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    In the majority of cases the input pair does not matter as the input is generally connected directly to a 3ph bridge.
    The neutral should not be required, in N.A. just L1, L2 and GND.
    If you are in IEC or Australia etc then it would be L1 & N.
    Max.

3. BR-549

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 22, 2013
    On that cutter label.....it looks like the manufacturer's phone number. Why not call them and ask?

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The manuals show that the 230v 1ph models connect to L1 & L2 often labeled R & S of R,S,T.
    Max.

Fused7 likes this.