Connecting 1 Phase Motor to 3 Phase VFD

Harry Muscle

Joined May 16, 2017
I got my hands on a cheap Variable Frequency Drive that I was hoping to experiment with. It's a Yaskawa GPD205 (here's a link to the manual: https://www.yaskawa.com/delegate/ge...2&cmd=documents&documentName=TM4502GPD205.pdf) and it puts out three phases over three wires. Since there's no forth neutral wire I'm assuming it's delta 3 phase power and not wye but the manual doesn't state either way. Could I connect a single phase 120V motor by connecting it to two of the three wires? I know with a wye connected source you can connect a single phase motor between one of the phases and neutral but I'm not sure how to do the same with a delta source where the is no neutral.

Assuming there is a way to make the connection what would happen if it is indeed a wye source that's missing the neutral and not a delta source?

Thanks,
Harry

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Not really. the way a VFD generates its output (phase interleaved PWM) it highly dependant on it being sent to a three phase motor with interconnected wiring and magnetic fields on one motor core.

That, and common single phase induction motors large enough to work with a VFD are not speed controllable to any significant degree anyway.

Shaded pole and split capacitor run types that re typically in the fractional horsepower are about all that can handle variable speed operation and they can typically be speed controlled with phase angle voltage control similar to how a common incandescent light dimmer works with.

jkaiser20

Joined Aug 9, 2016
I don't have details of the model, but I used one in grad school to run a 3hp single phase motor for months without issue. Just hooked up two phases. Now that i know more, I wonder why it worked.

So one anecdote where it worked.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I don't have details of the model, but I used one in grad school to run a 3hp single phase motor for months without issue. Just hooked up two phases. Now that i know more, I wonder why it worked.

Could be a single phase VFD.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Apart from stated above, the reason you do not see many 1ph VFD's for 1ph induction motors is they tend to drop out of run when ran under load especially at low RPM.
but I used one in grad school to run a 3hp single phase motor for months without issue
I assume by that you mean you ran a 3ph motor on 1PH?
If so if you get it to rotate first by external means, in some cases a 3ph motor will run off load.
If you mean you ran a 1ph motor off of 2phases of course it will, 2 phase IS 1ph.
Max.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..Here is the real question.
Wouldn't a missing phase current trigger a fault.
May be the VFD can be configured as a single phase one.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have never personally come across a 3ph VFD that will satisfactorily run a 1ph motor without a problem, and I have used quite a few makes over the years.
Also I did try to run a 3 winding BLDC motor off a VFD but with poor results.
Although I believe there are 1ph VFD's out there in a limited sense, The cost of 220v 3ph motors on the surplus market doesn't usually warrant the risk. Particularly with the choice of using a VFD on 1ph 240v supply.
Max.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I agree.
It's a poor choice to run a 1ph motor of a 3ph VFD.
The 3ph motors are smaller than the 1ph motor of the same HP

jkaiser20

Joined Aug 9, 2016
I agree.
It's a poor choice to run a 1ph motor of a 3ph VFD.
The 3ph motors are smaller than the 1ph motor of the same HP
That is for sure. Once I got a 'correct' system up and running, life was much better. I was running a liquid pump and needed to control flow. Was using a diverter valve set at full speed. VFD on 3ph so much more controllable. And quiet.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013

Not impossible if it was an old and very basic unit by today's standards that had no real phase to phase current monitoring and the motor was small plus not being ran too far off from its primary frequency and speed or if it was a split capacitor or shaded pole unit.

No modern VFD will allow any motor to run in a single phase condition by design.