Connecting a 1.5kW heating element without blade terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyRoy

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Hi I have this (rated at 1.5kW):

You can see there is no blade terminals and I don't have a spot welder to attach a blade terminal.

can I use the terminal strip insert? (ofc without the plastic casing):

I have everything else (heat rated wire and heat rated insulation big enough to contain the insert) so I am just asking about this connection. and if its safe for this application.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you remove the plastic covers then yes those types of connectors usually work rather well in moderately higher temperature applications. Especially if they are the stainless steel type.

RoyRoy

Joined Feb 2, 2017

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
I don't think you understand the issue, but thank you for input.
hi Roy,
I thought the issue is that you need to have a heat resistant method of connecting a hot 1.5kW heating element to the mains wiring.?
Using ceramic connectors is a common method of making this type of connection.

The ceramic connector would enable a safe, self insulated method, the option of removing the outer plastic of a regular connector would mean that the connection is exposed bare metal at mains potential and is unsafe.

Eric
It is also important to realise that the incoming mains wire will get hot at the connector and should be heat resistant/tolerant.

RoyRoy

Joined Feb 2, 2017
hi Roy,
I thought the issue is that you need to have a heat resistant method of connecting a hot 1.5kW heating element to the mains wiring.?
Using ceramic connectors is a common method of making this type of connection.

The ceramic connector would enable a safe, self insulated method, the option of removing the outer plastic of a regular connector would mean that the connection is exposed bare metal at mains potential and is unsafe.

Eric
It is also important to realise that the incoming mains wire will get hot at the connector and should be heat resistant/tolerant.
man if I could down vote you I would.

if a mod is reading this pls lock it...

Moderator's note: Please be civil. This is apparently a misunderstanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Roy,
My reply was not done to criticise you, I was trying to be helpful.
I am genuinely sorry you have taken my suggestion the wrong way.

Can I ask what in my post has peed you off.?
Eric

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Roy,
I can't see that any of the replies have given any wrong information.
What do you mean by your statement "I don't think you understand the issue, but thank you for input." Do you mean that you are using heating elements a dummy load ant they will not be running at their normal opperating temperature ? If so you should have made this clear.

Les.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You showed a photo of a heater element and stated it is rated at 1.5kW.
The obvious assumption is this thing is going to get very hot consuming 1.5kW.
One would assume that the feeder cable must be insulated with high temperature sleeving made of glass fibre or ceramic tubing.

What exactly is your application? How much power are you putting into the heater element?

RoyRoy

Joined Feb 2, 2017
Holy crap, you ppl can't be serious.

Answer was answered quickly and professionally by tcmtech, thanks again.

the rest of you are "trying to be helpful" by not reading the entire OP, since you didn't bother to take the time to read it, I won't waste mine to argue with you about how relevant or "helpful" your input is. Read the entire post next time.

As to moderator- question was resolved, and I requested the thread to be closed. Not sure what other productive discussion might come out of it. But after all its your call.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Per TS's request, the thread is being locked.

I can think of one issue that the TS might have with his proposed method if he doesn't choose his materials well. But since he isn't interested in further discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.