Confusion around "100W" power LED

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
I got myself this RGB 100W power LED, a heatsink with fan, and some thermal paste. I put the LED on the heatsink, with the thermal paste. It is bright at 10mA/color, and all the colors seem to work well, and the individual LEDs are evenly lit. At 500mA, each color is very bright. I will try it at 1A, the maximum rated current, and see what happens. Unfortunately, I do not have the power resistors to try all of them at that current. But I am confused. R and G are 1A 30-34V, so about 66W. But then, red is 22-24V, so at 1A, only ~22W. This totals at 85-90W. Are they just rounding up to make it seem more powerful, or am I missing something?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Numbers like that are almost always rounded to "nice" values. First, they are going to use the max voltage and max current -- so that gets you to 92 W. Then they will probably point to some document showing that the actual max current is a bit more than 1000 mA (after all, there's nothing magical about exactly 1 A -- that's just a convenient number to use for the operating current). After all, if they can run it at just 1% over 1 A, there's your 100 W. But they probably don't have to do that, even. They'll just say that they rounded to the nearest 10 W and tell you that if you have a problem with that, you can take it up with their lawyers.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
Numbers like that are almost always rounded to "nice" values. First, they are going to use the max voltage and max current -- so that gets you to 92 W. Then they will probably point to some document showing that the actual max current is a bit more than 1000 mA (after all, there's nothing magical about exactly 1 A -- that's just a convenient number to use for the operating current). After all, if they can run it at just 1% over 1 A, there's your 100 W. But they probably don't have to do that, even. They'll just say that they rounded to the nearest 10 W and tell you that if you have a problem with that, you can take it up with their lawyers.
It seems otherwise decent. But their "100W" IR LED is ~14V and 3500mA, yet magically "100W".

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
They've just given approximate figures ... to drive this at 100W you need a fan assisted heatsink ....noisy , even then it will probably be too hot and not have a long life ...

Best to drive these well below max current you will have a much longer life and they operate more efficiently at lower currents , around 30% more lumens per Watt when run at 30% max current ,that's a sensible current with a good heatsink (no fan)

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
They've just given approximate figures ... to drive this at 100W you need a fan assisted heatsink ....noisy , even then it will probably be too hot and not have a long life ...

Best to drive these well below max current you will have a much longer life and they operate more efficiently at lower currents , around 30% more lumens per Watt when run at 30% max current ,that's a sensible current with a good heatsink (no fan)
I got a heatsink with fan, and used thermal paste. But I did notice it heating up quite a bit. I won't use 100% power, but 30% isn't enough.