Conference room on wheels

Chippynotsparky

Joined Apr 1, 2022
Hi I am building a conference room on wheels, the purpose of this is to be mobile. I wanted just one plug coming out to power the room. Inside I would like to have 4 plug sockets built under the desk, and 2 plug sockets in the roof. The cables will be built into the walls and I am concerned with the option of „Daisy chaining“ multiplugs. So how would I make 2 separate areas for plugs join into one plug to power the room? What equipment do I need. I’m my head I wire two multiplugs into one plug and add a fuse somewhere

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If this was a house, there would be electrical codes to guide you. I'm not sure if "RV" type vehicles have a similar set of codes or not. If they do, it would be well worth your time to investigate the matter. You don't want to make a mistake, do something foolish, and be on the hook for a huge liability settlement.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
In the US at least, wall sockets are typically daisy chained. Not sure how many though.

What are you going to plug this in to? The total amperage must be no more than the socket you plug in to.

Bob

Chippynotsparky

Joined Apr 1, 2022
If this was a house, there would be electrical codes to guide you. I'm not sure if "RV" type vehicles have a similar set of codes or not. If they do, it would be well worth your time to investigate the matter. You don't want to make a mistake, do something foolish, and be on the hook for a huge liability settlement.
Yes I see your point, o think in this case liability will not be an issue but I appreciate where you are coming from. Modelling the power in the same way as an RV is a good idea but veeeery expensive. I don’t know anything about electrics. I guess what o wondered is what happens if I take two domestic sockets that you would use for a house and the run a wire from them…. And stick a plug on the end. Then plug it in.

Chippynotsparky

Joined Apr 1, 2022
In the US at least, wall sockets are typically daisy chained. Not sure how many though.

What are you going to plug this in to? The total amperage must be no more than the socket you plug in to.

Bob
thanks Bob, can you attach a wire to a wall socket and attach a plug on the end. And then plug that into a wall socket?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
... think in this case liability will not be an issue ...
That is what people think until they get sued and find out their liability coverage is not what they thought it was. You can be ruined by a single mishap, that might not even be your fault. It may take every nickel you have just to defend yourself.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
In Germany, it would need to power 2 laptops, a monitor, a fan, a led light… something like this
I don't know what your building codes are, but in the US, we'd daisy chain all of the outlets on a circuit. I'd make the first receptacle a GFCI. For typical general purpose circuits, we use 15A or 20A breakers, with the appropriate gauge wire.

Chippynotsparky

Joined Apr 1, 2022
I'd treat it like you'd treat residential wiring; commercial if that has more restrictions.
Ok i think i see what your saying but with residential wiring, it wires straght into the fuse box. I want it to have a plug so I can unplug it and move the room/booth around

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Ok i think i see what your saying but with residential wiring, it wires straght into the fuse box. I want it to have a plug so I can unplug it and move the room/booth around
Just treat your mobile conference room like a piece of equipment. In the US, we have receptacles and power cords like this on some appliances:
1648827730373.png1648827798176.png
The receptacle shown is rated for 15A.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Use a 16A EN60309 plug and socket for the power input, so that you can completely disconnect the cable. Otherwise the cable will get damaged.
You can plug the cable into a 16A EN60309 socket or a Schuko socket.
Provided that all your wiring will take 16A you probably (check local regulations) don't need anything else, it will just behave like a 4-way esxtension lead. However a few 6A MCBs separating it into individual circuits wouldn't go amiss. It would also stop the room going completely without power if one plug trips the breaker.
Have you also considered whether you need emergency lighting?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Yeeeesss great this is what i had in mind! Sk attach two wall sockets to this and sorted, should there be a fuse somewhere haha
Those receptacles can have a fuse:
1648828520394.png
Or you can use a fuse holder that some equipment would have:
1648828565735.png
Or you could install a breaker after the power receptacle.

EDIT: Also make sure that appropriate wire gauges are used. Building code in the US requires 14AWG for 15A circuits. We also have receptacles that are compatible with regular extension cords.

Last edited:

Chippynotsparky

Joined Apr 1, 2022
Use a 16A EN60309 plug and socket for the power input, so that you can completely disconnect the cable. Otherwise the cable will get damaged.
You can plug the cable into a 16A EN60309 socket or a Schuko socket.
Provided that all your wiring will take 16A you probably (check local regulations) don't need anything else, it will just behave like a 4-way esxtension lead. However a few 6A MCBs separating it into individual circuits wouldn't go amiss. It would also stop the room going completely without power if one plug trips the breaker.
Have you also considered whether you need emergency lighting?

this is amazing! Thank you so much!The room has windows and is in a bigger lit room so emergency lighting shouldn’t be too necessary I think

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Welcome to AAC! I would first consult DIN VDE 0100 which is the wiring code regulations for Germany and is EU compatible. DIN VDE 0100 - PDF Free Download (adoc.pub)
Here in the US, I would then hire a licensed Electrician to install the wiring to code since it appears that it would be a public accommodation.

EDIT: You also need to contact the Local Building Code Regulatory Compliance authorities to see if a building license for public accommodation and building inspection before occupancy are required. Since this is portable accommodation that I assume is to be transported on public roads there may also be some transportation compliance considerations and insurance needs to be considered.

Last edited: