compressor capacitor

jonnydolt

Joined Oct 23, 2015
Hi Guys I need a new capacitor for my compressor it is a JKD motor starter CD60A 250uF 250 vac can't find the exact thing on ebay can I use a higher uF count or doe's it need to be 250uF ? Most I find are CD60 but B instead of A and have a lower uF number but a few are higher many thanks for reading Edit:- I think I can also use 450vac instead of 250vac as the voltage rating is a function of what the cap could take, not what it puts out is this correct ?

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
250μf appears to might be a start capacitor (rather than run) and should be purchased as such, i.e. Motor Start Rated, 450vac would be find, or anything above 250v.
Max.

jonnydolt

Joined Oct 23, 2015
250μf appears to might be a start capacitor (rather than run) and should be purchased as such, i.e. Motor Start Rated, 450vac would be find, or anything above 250v.
Max.
Yes it says motor starting capacitor some state run/start are these ok to use?

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
If the original is rated at 250 Vac, then the replacement can be the same. You can put lower μf capacitors in parallel to get near to 250μf and don't need to all be the same value, make up a capacitor bank with what you can get. Two 150μf or one 100μf + one 150μf would be fine for a compressor start capacitor. They are not polarised.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes it says motor starting capacitor some state run/start are these ok to use?
The main difference between start and run capacitors, the start variety can only be in circuit for a very brief time, they are typically bi-polar electrolytic, the run type the opposite and are in circuit the whole time and are generally paper/oil construction.
One word of advice, do not use Chinese origin motor caps, they have a high reputation of failure.
Max.