Component Identification

sunny52266

Joined Apr 4, 2020
Hi,

I am new to this forum and would like to request for help in identifying a component on a GSM board on which the component was fried (perhaps due to not attaching the antenna before operation).

The PCB identifies it as L4 which suggests its an inductor. A working board with the same component has a number 68 written on it. which suggests it is a 68 nH inductor. I found one on RS website (https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/multilayer-surface-mount-inductors/7859222/) matching the specs but the picture (the smd pins) does not match the bad inductor de-soldered from the board.

Any suggestions on how to proceed with identification of the component and finding proper replacement?

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Welcome to AAC.

Nice job on identification.

Your RS device is a 603 package, which is on the small size. If you can measure between the pad centers, ends, width, etc. to get a better idea of size, it will help. Many distributors (e.g., Digikey) have parametric search engines and size/package is usually included.

There are several sources for package sizes, here is just one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

sunny52266

Joined Apr 4, 2020
Hi jpanhalt,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the my late response.

The size of component is approx 3mm x 2.5mm x 2mm (LxWxH). Unfortunately i dont have a caliper so cant measure accurately. This size is measured with a ruler.

sunny52266

Joined Apr 4, 2020

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
1) take an another device with a healthy pcb and measure that detail with automatic recognition RLC meter. Similar like LRC TC1 or better device.
2) try to read under microscope the code on the detail and apply the code reader tables from Google
3) try to guess the function of this detail looking after the topology and guess what a normal range of nominals it MAY have. Try what happens if substitute with such. Risky? Yes.