Component Identification

Kirat Patani

Joined Feb 29, 2016
Hello ladies & gentlemen, I've learned a lot from this website and this is my first post here so go easy on me... I have come across a dead display board & am confused about a certain component on the board... The component shows a short so I'm thinking it is bad... If i'm not mistaking this looks like a SMD varistor but I can not seem to find any info on these... please help... IMG_20160229_141209.jpg IMG_20160229_141303.jpg

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
The logo is General Semiconductor, known for tranzorbs (a zener diode specialized for transient protection). My guess is 6.7 or 67 volts, 10% tolerance. Where is it installed in the circuit?

ak

Kirat Patani

Joined Feb 29, 2016
Hi AnalogKid, Thanks for the reply! Nope this is defiantly not a zener diode it seems to be there for some sort of circuit protection... Some update... So I took the component off and the powered the unit up with 24VDC and everything seems to be working fine... As for where the component is installed in a circuit... it is Installed right after the 24VDC input to "+" & "-"... I'm just worried if something else might get damaged in case of a another spike or something... I've attached a pic hope it helps...

2016-02-29.jpg