Component Identification and testing.

brumster

Joined Oct 25, 2017
Hi there. I'm a complete newbie and would be really grateful for some assistance identifying a component. I'd also like to understand if it is possible to test this component with a digital meter and if (if the component is faulty) where I might find a replacement.

The component in question comes of the main board in a Sonos Play:1 speaker. Something has blown on the board and all other components and tracks in the vicinity of this appear to be fine and functioning as excepted.

Here's an image of the component:

IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG

As you can see it looks like it has seen some heat. Some limited Googling tells me it's either a capacitor or a pulse fixed inductor.

On one side of the component the letters CD221K can be seen.

On the other:

BSI
TK4V
250V
X1Y1
TJ508

So, would anyone be helpful enough to help me:

1. Identify what this is
2. Tell me if I can test with a meter?
3. Help me find a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might provide.

Best

Paul

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Looks like a varistor to me.

You can't test them with a multimeter. You have to subject them to a voltage higher than what they're designed to stand off and see if they start conducting.

brumster

Joined Oct 25, 2017

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Welcome to AAC!

Looks like a varistor to me.

You can't test them with a multimeter. You have to subject them to a voltage higher than what they're designed to stand off and see if they start conducting.
The "X1Y1" suggests a capacitor, but none of the other copied out markings look like a capacitance value.

Goolch

Joined Oct 20, 2017
As Jony130 description (221 = 220pF) the third digit will always let you know how many Zeros you must add to the first 2 or 3 digit. for instance. If the number was 223 the value will be (22K). It is a Capacitor. Most likely manufactured by Murata. Their Part number is DE1B3KX221KA4BN01F
Ceramic Disc Capacitors 220pF 250Vrms 10% L/S=10mm
250 VAC/300 VAC
Dielectric: B
Tolerance: 10 %
Diameter: 8 mm
Lead Spacing: 10 mm
You can purchase from Mouser Electronics. Their Part number is 81-DE1B3KX221KA4BN01F
Hope this help.