Complex switch program help

ProfessorZAPPP

Joined Nov 18, 2015
I have few ATmega 8 and 328 chips with external oscillators 16KHz, also an arduino board with the inbuilt 328.

My goal is to create a program to control a set of power transformers/ relays in a switch formation so that after receiving 3 input pulses of 12v or less it would activate an output (power transformer/ relay) resulting in engine start

the complex part is the program needs to receive other override signal/sensors that will prevent electrical engine crank depending on their N/O N/C states. example, car gear lever in gear, or handbreak not enguaged. These are simple for me to do, only need help with programming side.

another input is a 12v supply when the engine is running to kill the start/procedure so it dosent grind the starter cogs. finding and identifying these wires i will also easily do, just need help finding where they come into the circuit.

Before i posted this thread, id drawn up some complicated relay/ transistor switch schematics but failed. this seems like a simple circuit to design but my electronics is rusty after 3 years away from.

Any help really appreciated

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
So you want a forum member to design such a complex application for free? I wish you luck finding someone or professor. You might get a little help if you post what you have.

ProfessorZAPPP

Joined Nov 18, 2015
Hello spinakker,

well.. pretty much man yea, thanks!
as far as what ive got so far, everything really just a working switch/buggy program deficiency!

i have already placed a set of reed witches wired around the gear lever with N/O state wires running to wiring harness access. they are activated by the neodymium magnets i have attached to the gear lever handle (manual)
also a micro switch positioned on the handbreak lever wired to same harness.N/O and N/C states.

These are the sensors i have already installed to a wiring harness access point. constant power, ignition on, crank and also the keyless entry power receivers have all been identified and marked at this same access point. i am certain these are all the wires and sensor setup i need to allow an appropriate switch setup.

i have a code alredy written by another person in effort to help me but there was no solution and no help. i have attached the code file for someone to look over in case there is a bug error. and if not maybe some expert electronics help in programming.

ive searched the inter-webbing for diferent types of switching circuits, counter chips and tried to make sense of my code, and the errors.

Programming is the most efficient and lowest power consumption alternative i can see to work in my situation. main problem i haven't got the writing of code experience yet to understand my circuit without help. i can program chips, and do any other electronics fine. just this code switch frustrates me.

Don't mean to invent hatred into people, just need some internet help Mr spinnaker. i wasn't sure i had to pay for knowledge on an electronics forum?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Sounds to me like you want someone to design an extremely complex project with almost no real specifications and for free. Would you tackle such a project for free?

The forum is about helping those that want help to help themselves.

You haven't even taken the time to post a schematic. And where is this code posted? I don't see it. And if you are going to post thousands or even dozens of lines of code and not specify the lines causing you problems then no one is going to do that either.

There is no hatred just reality.

ProfessorZAPPP

Joined Nov 18, 2015
ok Mr Spinnaker, what is it you want from me exactly? be thorough, it helps me understand your type.

This is not an extremely complex project, at all i don't think. the whole concept of what im doing may be confusing for some, but the only part i need help with it the program/switching circuit. everything outside that, you don't have to worry one bit about, i got it. Would i tackle something like this for free? of course i would man, if i had the knowledge on how to do it, and i saw someone like me who has taken the time to do everything they possibly could, there is no question i would share the knowledge... whose talking about money lol? get a real job haha!

I do want some forum help, to help myself... i havent posted a schematic because its not needed, i dont need help with my whole circuit i can do EVERYTHING except, understand my errors with the 3 pulse receiver switch as an electrician. As i stated above, i have identified all of the correct wiring i believe i need, and run all appropriate switch wiring/power to the same junction. dayum im just repeating myself!

Reality;
All of the specifications my circuit requires are in my comment above yours, if you wanna just have a quick read. i dont know what real specifications you require to understand what im doing?? Help me help you help me i guess..

Basically in short response, maybe my first post was confusing.
I only need expert assistance in building a switch that when receiving 3 input pulses... 1..2...3 will activate an output. that's it! everything i explained was just backup info on what i was using it for so people would have an understanding, or maybe it was just confusing for some people.

Ive uploaded the code in this post!!! i didnt want to upload it until someone was interested in giving me a little help, but i guess i need to.

Again, any help/guidance at all much appreciated. i came here to learn about electronics, not be told what i have or haven't done.. just a waste of effort. Peace!

Attachments

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
This doesn't actually seem like a very complicated project, except for interfacing the processor to the voltage and current levels you need. But I don't think "3 input pulses" is a very good description. I'd want to know how long the pulses are, how much time between them, what are the voltage levels, or is it a contact closure and otherwise it's an open circuit. You also need to worry about protecting the circuit from electrical noise.

ProfessorZAPPP

Joined Nov 18, 2015
Hello John, awesome profile pic haha!

Yea i didn't think so either! so;

couldn't i implement correct voltage regulators to cater for circuits working voltage input/ outputs?
the main voltage for this circuit to run off is a rough 11-12v (sitting car battery) can be regulated/cleaned if required

The 3 input pulses are;
V=12
High for about 2 seconds (once door unlock is pressed and they click the actuators)
2 seconds between them (no matter how fast you press unlock)

the output at this stage will activate a relay (or power transistor to relay) That relays contacts will be the engine crank wires.

That is the switch circuit i would like help with designing at this stage. after i have this working i am to experiment with the crank wire cutoff and sensors bypassing the initial start procedure. these will prevent engine crank if car is in gear (reed switch/magnets) and if handbreak is off (microswitch) adding these N/O and N/C states wired in parallel will cut power to the unit if they are active.
i found this way to be easier than asking someone to add them as part of a code, and i dont even know if a code could be written to accept inputs that will cutoff the initial output procedure of that chip i.e the start procedure. hope that makes sense :)

What do you mean by electrical noise? i assume having regulated steady supply power will block fluctuations in the cars battery/alternator charging through starting process and running states.

Thanks for the useful post John, appreciate it