Complex IC (BQ25622E) Simulation Question

leiloumou

Joined Sep 12, 2019
I'm wondering how people simulate complex ICs in apps like LTspice when there are no available models of them out there. Currently, I'm trying to design a wireless transmitter circuit with the TI BQ25622E IC and I'm at a lost as to how this can be done in a simulation setting. Do engineers have the ICs on hand, design and etch a PCB based on the IC's application diagram and alter the values of the components accordingly to their needs? Or would they need to design the complex IC on LTspice in the manner shown on the functional block diagram of the IC's data sheet? If that's the case, would using the generic op-amp, MOSFET, diode, etc. models on LTspice suffice?

I'd appreciate any advice given to me on how one would go about tackling this issue when there seems to be rarely any LTspice models of complex ICs on the web.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm wondering how people simulate complex ICs in apps like LTspice when there are no available models of them out there. Currently, I'm trying to design a wireless transmitter circuit with the TI BQ25622E IC and I'm at a lost as to how this can be done in a simulation setting. Do engineers have the ICs on hand, design and etch a PCB based on the IC's application diagram and alter the values of the components accordingly to their needs? Or would they need to design the complex IC on LTspice in the manner shown on the functional block diagram of the IC's data sheet? If that's the case, would using the generic op-amp, MOSFET, diode, etc. models on LTspice suffice?

I'd appreciate any advice given to me on how one would go about tackling this issue when there seems to be rarely any LTspice models of complex ICs on the web.
When I worked at Allen-Bradley in the 1990s we wire wrapped multiple boards to simulate a network ASIC that ran at 10% of the projected speed of the actual ASIC. In simulations it is often the case that a behavioral model can be constructed to model the critical features of a complex system. Precise timing analysis one of those things that often must wait until prototype silicon is forged.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm trying to design a wireless transmitter circuit with the TI BQ25622E IC
That IC is for controlling battery charging, so I doubt you need to address timing analysis, which PB mentions, if you develop a behavioural model from the datasheet info.
What licenced frequency band?

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013

This is a complex chip. It may be that developing a chip model will take much more time than just obtaining and bread boarding the chip instead. I think you need to ask yourself "What information do I want from a simulation" before attempting to simulate anything. This way you can nail down whether the required information can even be obtained, in a reasonable amount of time, thru simulation.