Comparator query.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Why in comparators |+Vsat| and |-Vsat| are not exactly equal
It depends on what kind of comparator you are talking about.
If we are talking about using a comparator with an open collector output, you would never expect that to happen.
If we are talking about using an opamp for a comparator, then you have to look at the output stage of the device to get the answer. Most operational amplifiers cannot get equally close to both of the power rails.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
why would you expect the outputs from two different portions of a circuit to be the same?? I would not expect that, especially when the output is digital, either a "1" or a "0", often 0 volts or 5 volts.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
why would you expect the outputs from two different portions of a circuit to be the same?? I would not expect that, especially when the output is digital, either a "1" or a "0", often 0 volts or 5 volts.
As I noted in post #2, he "might" be using an opamp as a comparator. It is not usually done for reasons that become manifestly obvious in practice, but if it can be done, some curious soul will try to do it.

The extremely high open loop gain and the low frequency pole come to mind.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Even using an op-amp as a comparator, the saturation levels are not specified as equal, maybe not even specified at all.
Besides that, the range of a logic one and a logic zero are not the same, usually. In normal comparator use it does not matter.