compaq pdp 124 p smps as bench power supply

avinash khetmali

Joined Jun 23, 2015
hi every one there ,
i ve a compaq pdp 124 p 185 watt, which i wish to use as bench power supply, the smps was removed from old pc and the pc was in working condition.
as i am just a hobbiest with fair knowledge of electronics, tried to search on net about these smps and learnt that they are bit different than the normal smps which you can power on by shorting PS ON and any of GROUND wire ,

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Most Atx psus need the Green wire shorting to any Black to power up, and a 5 to 10 ohm 10W resistor across the 5V rail for a load, this should give you the usual outputs.
I would search youtube for further ideas.

avinash khetmali

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Most Atx psus need the Green wire shorting to any Black to power up, and a 5 to 10 ohm 10W resistor across the 5V rail for a load, this should give you the usual outputs.
I would search youtube for further ideas.
thank you dear,
i ve searched every where and i red somwhere that the green wire needs signal high thru a inverter chip whereas the latest psus use signal low means yuo can connect green ps on to ground thus making it signal low,
any way thanks for the help, if at all you find something pls reply
regards

Hello Everyone,
Please pardon any errors as this is my first post on this forum and probably my 5th post to a forum, ever.
I'm doing something similar with the same model power supply and I was wondering what the final result was? What are the wire colors aside from red, yellow, orange, and green?
Thank you.