Old Compaq LTE 5280 Not Correctly Reading Homemade Battery?

KirbyInc

Joined Dec 8, 2017
Hello, I am working on a full refurbishment of a Compaq LTE 5280 and I recently completed a homemade battery for it made out of the old battery's parts. The battery in question is a 10 cell Nimh battery. Here are some pictures of the battery outside of its case:

Battery#1 - Front.png

Battery#3 - Top Front.png

Battery#8 - PCB1.png

I have tested the battery inside the laptop multiple times and it works really well. The laptop holds a charge for approximately 2 to 3 hours each time.

However, there is one problem. This Compaq is running Windows 95 and the operating system can't seem to read the battery properly. Usually, the battery icon in the taskbar reads 6% and has an 'X' through it - even though the battery is fully charged. The LCD Status Display on the front of the laptop usually also shows as empty even when full.

If I drain the battery completely and then plug in a power adapter to charge, USUALLY the Windows 95 battery guage and the LCD Status Display starts to compensate and corrects itself - but it doesn't seem to last very long before it "forgets" and goes back to 6%.

I've tried using Compaq Battery Calibration Utility for Compaq LTE but have had little success. This is a bit of a specific topic, but can anybody offered any insight in to what is happening and what I can do about it? Could it be the a small malfunction in the PCB connected to the battery?

Thanks in advance for any help!