Common-Collector Amplifier Circuit

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hobbyist
Just to clarify my "eureka" moment.

Your diagrams show Vcc as a + and - side and the ciruit has a separate ground connection.

My diagram shows Vcc is + only on the top side of the schematic and a ground connection on the bottom side.

How does this mean that Vcc in my diagram has a minus side :confused: then the ground shown separtely? Is ground the - side of Vcc or is it just ground? Or is it both?
But in my digram how did you manage to redraw VCC + as having a + and - side, and then show ground again? If you are representing my circuit I fail to see how you can just add a - side to Vcc?

Are you saying in my diagram that the ground symbol is both ground and the - side to VCC? :confused:

Ok, a battery has a positive and neg. term. any time you see a VCC or any symbol that us used to represent the power supply, you always have to have a pos. and neg. terminal or you have no complete circuit.

The only reason the ground symbol is used in schematics is 2 reasons.

1. It makes the schematic easier to read when you don't have a whole lot of lines returning to the power source. That way only one side of the power source has lines coming from it to make it less cluttered.

So any time you see a ground symbol in a schem. look for the power supply and see if it is showing neg. or pos. (- or +) on the drawing and ground will be the opposite symbol.

2. You have to have a point of reference to make all your measurements (volt., current,) from, so always look at ground as being the point in wich the designer of that schem. chose to be the point of reference to take all measurements from.

So yes, your VCC has a neg. side, remember any power supply will have both (+ and -) , it seems like your not seeing the VCC as a complete supply voltage, most schem. will be drawn that way, with only one supply term. labeled, but always need to remember that on the other side of that symblo has to be the other supply polarity.

A lot of times when I'm designing a circuit I'll draw a circle with a + symbol so as to not clutter my drawing so I can concentrate on the parts of the schem. that need worked on. But I know that that symbol means it's connected to the pos. side of the supply, even though I draw no wires back to the supply so as to keep the drawing simple for analyzing more importanty parts of the drawing.

So remember ground most of the time means the common point of reference in which all measurements of the circuit are taken from.

Jony130

Joined Feb 17, 2009
Jony
So, regardless as to whether you refer to positive or negative swing one side will always be positive with relation to the other side?
Yes.
By the way, perhaps "U" in your language refers to how you would say EMF?
EMF is "SEM" in My language, and for EMF we use letter "E"
Now it seems to me that we use "U" because we don't have letter "V" in our alphabet.

Are you saying in my diagram that the ground symbol is both ground and the - side to VCC? :confused:
Yes, ground symbol is both ground and the - side to VCC.
Because in 99% of circuit the GND in a single supply circuit is a "minus" side of VCC. That's because current flow only in a closed loop circuit.
Look in my schematics.
And maybe you will understand the concept of GND (common reference point that all voltages will be measured from).

Attachments

Last edited:

howartthou

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Thanks Jony :)

You are a great help. I really appreciate the quality of your responses. You have helped tremendously here.

I am about to start another thread with another type of transistor problem. I am really hoping you could help me with this one too? Ummm, if there was a begging symbol I would use it...thanks again :)

howartthou

Joined Apr 18, 2009
hobbyist, just re-reading this thread and notice I forgot to thank you for your answers above about Vcc and ground and how their shown in diagrams.

You have really cleared things up and I find I am able to read/analyse diagrams much better now although at the moment I am not a big fan of having a ground symbol placed remotely from the +Vcc. I undertand its the point of reference to why can't they just put Vcc next to the point of reference, show the + and - together and draw the extra line?

Don't answer that because you already have - to avoid clutter.

But it hasn't made it easy for me to be stuck on something that should be basic yet at the same time be able to apply other more complex circuit principles....just sharing my frustration.

Thanks again.