Combining Multiple Battery Power Source

Blk1

Joined Jun 7, 2017
First of all thanks for even clicking this post. I really appreciate it
and next, I'll go straight to my question...

I try to combine 3 projects with a different power source into one portable packet
- The first one is VHF audio receiver that requires 1 AA battery (1.5V),
- Next is VHF audio transmitter that also requires 1 AA battery (1.5V),
- And the last one is a DIY headphone amplifier that requires 1 (9V) battery.

My questions are
- Can I run that 3 separate objects on 4 (1.5V each) AA batteries or 2 9v battery without damaging or ruin the circuit??
- Is changing the power will cause any dropouts or will it shorten the runtime?
- Do I need a step up/down converter for my project?

Thanks...

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would think about a 6 (six) AA Battery pack or holder. Then run your own "tap" off the first battery. Runtime will be a function of how much current each device requires. The VHF transmitter and receiver must be very low power devices? Do you have any data sheets on any of this stuff? Additional 1.5 Volt batteries could parallel the tap for more current on the tap.

Ron

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Solution seems to depend on current draw for each devise. If draw is light for amp. I would consider a joule thief running from 1.5 V, delivering 9 V, or commercial boost convertor if one can be found that goes down to 1.5 V.

Blk1

Joined Jun 7, 2017
I would think about a 6 (six) AA Battery pack or holder. Then run your own "tap" off the first battery. Runtime will be a function of how much current each device requires. The VHF transmitter and receiver must be very low power devices? Do you have any data sheets on any of this stuff? Additional 1.5 Volt batteries could parallel the tap for more current on the tap.

Ron
Oh god, thank you for replying..

Yes.. the VHF transmitter and receiver are in fact low power.
The VHF transmitter and receiver comes from China and I couldn't understand the data sheet
this is the only thing I get from google translate
-Freq Carrier: VHF 180-270Mhz
-Sound Output: 0 - 400mV
-Power source: AC220V / 50-60Hz
-Battery Type: DC 3V / 9V

I'm really new at this I'm trying to build a wireless setup for personal use...
I really appreciate your help.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
- Can I run that 3 separate objects on 4 (1.5V each) AA batteries or 2 9v battery without damaging or ruin the circuit??
4 AA batteries will give you 6V, so you can't power your amplifier that requires 9V. Using 9V batteries, you don't mention how they would be connected or used, could damage the circuits that require 1.5V.
- Is changing the power will cause any dropouts or will it shorten the runtime?
If you do as was suggested in post #2, drawing additional current from one or two of the 1.5V batteries will likely cause a decrease in runtime for the 9V circuit. In series battery connections, the weakest cell is the weak link.
- Do I need a step up/down converter for my project?
With what you specified, you would need a step up regulator to get 9V from 6V. Switching regulator efficiency depends on the regulator design and the current requirement; but will never be 100% and could be as low as 80%.

More details will give better feedback.

Are the grounds for the two 1.5V circuits isolated? What is the current draw of each circuit? What is the desired runtime?

Blk1

Joined Jun 7, 2017
Solution seems to depend on current draw for each devise. If draw is light for amp. I would consider a joule thief running from 1.5 V, delivering 9 V, or commercial boost convertor if one can be found that goes down to 1.5 V.
Thanks for replying...

The DIY headphone amplifier instructions build I've got are from youtube and Instructables
and most of them use a 9v battery as a power supply. As I found the instructions I just go straight to gather the parts needed and assembled it.
And thanks to your reply now i know that I should read the instructions fully.
I'll be looking for the 1.5v stepdown solution..

Blk1

Joined Jun 7, 2017
Welcome to AAC!
4 AA batteries will give you 6V, so you can't power your amplifier that requires 9V. Using 9V batteries, you don't mention how they would be connected or used, could damage the circuits that require 1.5V.
If you do as was suggested in post #2, drawing additional current from one or two of the 1.5V batteries will likely cause a decrease in runtime for the 9V circuit. In series battery connections, the weakest cell is the weak link.
With what you specified, you would need a step up regulator to get 9V from 6V. Switching regulator efficiency depends on the regulator design and the current requirement; but will never be 100% and could be as low as 80%.

More details will give better feedback.

Are the grounds for the two 1.5V circuits isolated? What is the current draw of each circuit? What is the desired runtime?
Thank You this is my very first threads here and it's been helpful so far.

- Yes thanks for explaining my fear of destroying the circuits
- The 9v circuit is the DIY preamp that I build off of instructions from youtube. The battery life on the amp is around 4-5 hours (tested it with my phone)
- As for the 1.5v circuit (transmitter and receiver each require 1.5v) comes from China
there is no datasheet available online only the one that comes with the packaging.and I never really used it until it's maximum runtime.
- Yes, I've been thinking to use the step up converter for this to avoid any problem in the future.

I'll work on the diagrams and come back with a better explanation about my project soon.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you