Combine multiple / different DC inputs, and output fixed DC circuit design?

amv101

Joined Aug 21, 2018
Hello, first off I am just a hobbyist for the most part so please bear with me for my ignorance :)

I am working on an idea that requires having multiple and different DC inputs, and would need them to output to a single fixed DC voltage. Is this possible?

In simple terms, I would like to combine the input of a small solar panel array, and the input of a thermoelectric generator module to generate a fixed DC output. The output would be connected to a small load like 3VDC at 1 amp. The load would be something like an LED or small DC motor. Because of the varying and inconsistent input values, would this be possible with some type of small custom circuit? I assume the output would be switched off, until the two inputs have enough combined power, which then the output can be switched on to power the load. Or the output can start at 0VDC and be limited to 3VDC as the combined inputs reach max voltage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Can probably be done, but you didn't provide enough details.

It would be helpful if you drew a block diagram of the configuration you're trying to describe. Be sure to include relevant details such as voltage and current capability of each source and the output voltage and current.

amv101

Joined Aug 21, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

Can probably be done, but you didn't provide enough details.

It would be helpful if you drew a block diagram of the configuration you're trying to describe. Be sure to include relevant details such as voltage and current capability of each source and the output voltage and current.
Thanks for the welcome!

At this point I do not really have any specs or details. I was just wondering if the concept would be feasible enough to get to that next step. I can outline a basic diagram with the basic power requirements and see if that helps.