Coil size - Solenoid valve

Avok

Joined May 11, 2019
Hi there,

I have the following (broken) solenoid valve:

Since its replacement is very hard to find, I was thinking to build the coil by myself.

I disassembled the solenoid valve and it was impossible to reach the coil since the surrounded plastic case was pretty well embedded.
At the end, I was able to save only the metal case that sustains the coil (and it's attached to the ground).

Here is the datasheet (page 199 and 200):
http://www.eltech-regulations.fr/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/catalogue-olab-électrovannes-web.pdf

From the solenoid disassembly, I was able to get these dimensions (without the black plastic case):
- Length: ~22mm
- Radius: ~5mm
- High: ~20mm

Instead, the syringe that I'd like to use (as replacement) has a radius of ~7mm
Which coil AWG size would you suggest to use? And, how many turns should I do?

From the original coil it seems that the wire that was used is AWG30-31 but, as you know, it's very hard to say.
Thank you in advance for your help :)
Bye

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
You might check a hardware store or appliance parts store for the coils on washing machine water valves, refrigerator ice maker water valves and sprinkler irrigation water valves.

Avok

Joined May 11, 2019
You might check a hardware store or appliance parts store for the coils on washing machine water valves, refrigerator ice maker water valves and sprinkler irrigation water valves.
Thanks for the response and suggestion.
Honestly I found the spare part on Ebay (from Germany) but I'd rather do this project by myself, also because it's something that I never did before:)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For future reference, I would use a DC coil and just place a small bridge to feed it.
They tend to last considerably longer than the AC variety due to no burn out if armature does not move over or becomes sticky etc.
Max.

Avok

Joined May 11, 2019
For future reference, I would use a DC coil and just place a small bridge to feed it.
Hi, thanks for your response.
Regarding the "small bridge", it will depend how much current the DC coil will need.
In my case, for instance, the original solenoid valve reports a (complex) power of 10.5VA. I believe that the Engineers didn't design properly the coil, most likely the coil got burn because it received a current (peak) that was not considered during the design.

Anyway, I think that I have to figure it out myself what to do :)
Thanks anyway!
Bye

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Regarding the "small bridge", it will depend how much current the DC coil will need.
In my case, for instance, the original solenoid valve reports a (complex) power of 10.5VA. I believe that the Engineers didn't design properly the coil, most likely the coil got burn because it received a current (peak) that was not considered during the design.
So the current when activated would be around 83.3ma or 0.0833amps.
Max.

Last edited: